Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Thanks all. (Read 5764 times) previous topic - next topic

Thanks all.

Hi,

I just like to thank hydrogenaudio and it's members for the wealth of information here at the forums. I have finally decided to put my CDs on my HD.

I would describe myself as an audiophile, but I am also cheap and lazy!

I just have a Klipsch 2.1 setup with an Audigy 2 ZS. I have used a Revolution 7.1 before, and still have another Envy-based card (MadDog) as a backup. But I am an avid gamer, so the Auidgy 2 ZS is the best compromise for me. I also have used CDex for it's easy... usually VBR (160 - 256) for my mp3s. But I have always wanted to see what can be done with EAC.

So, I spent a few days lurking on the forum.

I've just tried EAC with LAME 3.90.3 at --alt-preset extreme.

All I can say is... Wow! I have never heard mp3s that sound this good. I know this is purely subjective, but again, wow.

Thanks! 

Thanks all.

Reply #1
Welcome to one of the most addictive communities on the net!
Hope you get a pleasant stay... 

Thanks all.

Reply #2
Gosh, first post and you're already a donating member..

Seeing one pro-LAME guy always beats seeing several anti-LAME trolls, considering all that LAME has to offer for mp3 quality.

Thanks all.

Reply #3
I just want to echo radio1_mike's thoughts.  I haven't been on here too long, but I have learned an immense amount from the archives, and when I have posted threads asking for help, people are very generous with their time and advice.  Many cheers. 

Thanks all.

Reply #4
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281577"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
HA could definitely use a few more cheap audiophiles like you. Congratulations on making a wise investment choice!

Thanks all.

Reply #5
Gosh, first post and you're already a donating member..

Seeing one pro-LAME guy always beats seeing several anti-LAME trolls, considering all that LAME has to offer for mp3 quality.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281586"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The information I got here was worth the donation.
I always had used the LAME encoder on CDex. But the new settings for the recommended version are sublime.

Thanks all.

Reply #6
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281577"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
HA could definitely use a few more cheap audiophiles like you. Congratulations on making a wise investment choice!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281737"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks N_A...!

I know. The problem I find w/alot of audiophile sites, is that everyone spends X grand on speaker sets, Y amount on tuners and amps, etc. And if you don't somehow, you are not an audiophile. God forbid, if you like Bose speakers. I prefer to think of myself as an audiophile w/o attitude.

My Klispch 2.1 ProMedia, I bought refurbed from Klipsch for $100.00. I don't have the money and I am not sure even if I did, I would have the impetus to buy a fancier setup.

But here, there does not seem to be any of that attitude.

Thanks all.

Reply #7
Well, i wouldn't be suprised if the "cheap-audiophiles" get the most bang for the buck - spending a little bit more and making informed decisions - but not spending high amounts of money on stuff - thus, getting a high "price/performance"-ratio.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Thanks all.

Reply #8
Lamentably, the story is always the same.

I am a electronic engineer (specialized in design of audio amplifiers) and I know (like many of my colleagues) that is not necessary to spend much money to obtain a good system of Hi-Fi.

Many of the components necessary to construct (as example) a good audio amplifier are today very cheap. Many of the transistors and components have lowered much its value and they are of good quality as consequence of the technological advance.

Many of the manufacturers of audio equipment know this, but they do not say it to people because they don't want it.

As a result of this they convince people (supposed audiophiles) with a lot of deceptive publicity that is necessary to spend (as example) 10.000 $ to obtain a good amplifier, when the reality is that with little 200 $ you can obtain the same.

They take advantage of the fact that most of the people lack of certain knowledge, and they attack the vanity of this people doing to them to think that they are buying a "cool" audio equipment.

Lamentably, many of the modern and expensive "audiophiles" are people motivated by the vanity and myths (generated by deceptive publicity), and not by knowledge; and they really believe that more expensive is better!!!.

It's the same situation for many useless expensive products as "mystic" speaker cables, "special" power cords, amplifiers with chassis of granite..... and many many more....

Thanks all.

Reply #9
Lamentably, the story is always the same.

I am a electronic engineer (specialized in design of audio amplifiers) and I know (like many of my colleagues) that is not necessary to spend much money to obtain a good system of Hi-Fi.

Many of the components necessary to construct (as example) a good audio amplifier are today very cheap. Many of the transistors and components have lowered much its value and they are of good quality as consequence of the technological advance.

Many of the manufacturers of audio equipment know this, but they do not say it to people because they don't want it.

As a result of this they convince people (supposed audiophiles) with a lot of deceptive publicity that is necessary to spend (as example) 10.000 $ to obtain a good amplifier, when the reality is that with little 200 $ you can obtain the same.

They take advantage of the fact that most of the people lack of certain knowledge, and they attack the vanity of this people doing to them to think that they are buying a "cool" audio equipment.

Lamentably, many of the modern and expensive "audiophiles" are people motivated by the vanity and myths (generated by deceptive publicity), and not by knowledge; and they really believe that more expensive is better!!!.

It's the same situation for many useless expensive products as "mystic" speaker cables, "special" power cords, amplifiers with chassis of granite..... and many many more....
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=282783"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know. There's an especially-ethereal quality to audiophile components. Lots of esoteric this-or-that going on.

So, in your professional opinion, what is a waste and what is good buy?