Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Media Library taking forever to load (Read 634 times) previous topic - next topic

Media Library taking forever to load

version 2.1.2 (Win 10, i5-4690 cpu). The last two or three times I've added new music files to my SSD and then opened foobar2000, it's taken forever (hours) to be read into the Media Library (album view - "reading tags"). Rescan on start up and monitor for changes are both checked. Since there's over 1T left on the music drive and 57gb on the main drive, I'm not sure what's going on. Any ideas? Thanks,

Re: Media Library taking forever to load

Reply #1
I think many people have problems replying to threads like this one where the person who has a problem doesn't mention anything useful that would help diagnose the problem. For example had you posted a list of your components and what kind of files you are adding, someone could have perhaps replied their suggestions.

You should enable advanced debug logging and post the logs here. You can find instructions here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,125188.msg1036679.html#msg1036679

Reply #3
Your log shows the problem, DSD file scanning takes forever. It looks like ZXTune Player component has a bug.
The component page doesn't list that it supports .DSF extension but at least the component claims that it does. And when it sees your DSD stream files it seems to get stuck trying to make sense of them.

If you don't need the ZXTune component you can fix the media library problem by uninstalling that component.

And if you actually want to play your DSD files, you will need to install foo_input_sacd. Extract the zip and just install foo_input_sacd.fb2k-component. You don't want the DSD Processor.

Would probably be a good idea for @djdron to take a look at the problem with the component. I could easily replicate foobar2000 apparently hanging by trying to open any random DSD file with .DSF extension with that component installed in an otherwise clean foobar2000.

Reply #4
Thanks, Case.

Reply #5
WavPack can losslessly compress DSD files as long as they aren't already DST-compressed. If you can do that, then the problem is solved, and you will have a better format too.

You cannot use foobar2000 for that compression, you must use the WavPack executable. But if you rename it, you can drag and drop. Like here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,122626.msg1012159.html#msg1012159

If you want to import tags that are large, then add {--allow-huge-tags}.  With 5.7.0, you can add {--threads} to the filename and it will multithread.

Reply #6
If you don't need the ZXTune component you can fix the media library problem by uninstalling that component.

If you did need it for files with other extensions, I thought it could fixed by moving the SACD component above it in the priority list at File>Preferences>Playback>Decoding??? But I'm too boring to have any extra input components installed let alone 2 that handle the same extension. :P