Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recommended Ogg encoder (Read 45975 times) previous topic - next topic

Recommended Ogg encoder

Reply #25
To resurrect an old thread..

I was looking at Opus, and it sounds like Opus is being designed for speech, rather than for encoding music.  Is this correct?

Recommended Ogg encoder

Reply #26
it sounds like Opus is being designed for speech, rather than for encoding music.  Is this correct?

No. People make it seem so because it's better than other codecs at lower bit rates, used for speech.

Recommended Ogg encoder

Reply #27
The correct description would be that opus is meant for communication (this is why it is a low delay codec), but communication nowadays is not just voice. What it has is a specific core that helps to give good quality for speech at very low bitrates. But that is not used at higher bitrates.

Recommended Ogg encoder

Reply #28
We seem to have diverged a bit from the original question, which was about Ogg Vorbis.  I'm sure to many people Ogg and Vorbis are the same thing, but that clearly isn't the case any more.

Recommended Ogg encoder

Reply #29
I've converted all of my music to OGG Vorbis at 256kbps and I have to say that the sound is magnificent whether I play my music through earphones on my Blackberry Z10 or through my car's Sony speakers. It is MUCH better than MP3 at lower bitrates. To me, it even sounds a little bit better than AAC (especially if many instruments are playing at once).

I had Opus before and while it's good, I don't find it to be perceptibly better than OGG Vorbis.

Recommended Ogg encoder

Reply #30
I've converted all of my music to OGG Vorbis at 256kbps and I have to say that the sound is magnificent whether I play my music through earphones on my Blackberry Z10 or through my car's Sony speakers. It is MUCH better than MP3 at lower bitrates. To me, it even sounds a little bit better than AAC (especially if many instruments are playing at once).

I had Opus before and while it's good, I don't find it to be perceptibly better than OGG Vorbis.

You'll be hard-pressed to reliably distinguish between Vorbis, Opus, and AAC at 256kbps, all other things being equal.

Re: Recommended Ogg encoder

Reply #31
I use Mediamonkey it is the best encoder for OGG and it is the only encoder I have found that will keep album art intact.  If you want to use  Mediamonkey get one the V4 V5 sucks it is like it went 8 to 12 years backwards S M H. 

Re: Recommended Ogg encoder

Reply #32
MediaMonkey is not an encoder.