Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to modify RazorLame to use the VBR-MTRH method? (Read 4770 times) previous topic - next topic

How to modify RazorLame to use the VBR-MTRH method?

I recently installed RazorLame, and I have everything set up the way I want it except for one thing: the option to use the VBR-MTRH method. Here's my current Lame options:

-b 8 -m j -h -V 3 -B 192 --resample 44.1 -q 3

I can't figure out where to put the --vbr-mtrh command. I was thinking of something like this:

-b 8 -m j -h --vbr-mtrh -V 3 -B 192 --resample 44.1 -q 3

Would this be the correct way?

Reply #1
is there any particular reason for trying to use -b 8 -m j -h --vbr-mtrh -V 3 -B 192 --resample 44.1 -q 3?

what wrong with just -V 3
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
Sounds to me like you got your settings from someplace out-of-date, DP3_001.

With the current version of LAME, -V3 is all you need. You can put this in the Expert part of the Lame Options and check “Only use custom options”.

Reply #3
Well, I currently use the LAME Encoder that's within Winamp 5.551 (version 3.98 ) to create MP3 music files, and I was trying to duplicate those settings within RazorLame. For reference, here they are:

MODE: VBR-MTRH, Joint Stereo
MIN BITRATE: 8 kbps
MAX BITRATE: 192 kbps
QUALITY: Normal
VBR Q: 3

I was interested in the VBR-MTRH because I was told that VBR New (the default in LAME) was better with bitrates 160 kbps and above due it its combined use use of VBR 1 (for below 160 kbps) and VBR 2 (for above 160 kbps). How does the new VBR default improve on this?

Moderation: Removed useless full quotation of the previous post.

Reply #4
What you're trying to do (unintentionally) is to lower the performance of the encoder.

The presets (ie, -V3, etc) rely on internal fine-tuning within the codec itself to provide optimal performance. Adding any other performance related command-line switches is likely to break that fine-tuning and result in a drop in quality and/or an increase in file size.

Using -V3 on its own is almost 100% guaranteed to provide better results than -V3 followed by s string of other performance related parameters. The wheel is already round by careful design, so there's no point in trying to reinvent it.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #5
1. vbr-mtrh and vbr-new are the same.

2. Don't use upper bitrate limit:
The use of -B is NOT RECOMMENDED. A 128kbps CBR bitstream, because of the bit reservoir, can actually have frames which use as many bits as a 320kbps frame. VBR modes minimize the use of the bit reservoir, and thus need to allow 320kbps frames to get the same flexibility as CBR streams.

Reply #6
MODE: VBR-MTRH, Joint Stereo
MIN BITRATE: 8 kbps
MAX BITRATE: 192 kbps
QUALITY: Normal
VBR Q: 3

Well, first things first:  vbr-mtrh is vbr-new. If you use lame 3.98 as  you say, it is enabled by default (like lvqcl said). Also joint Stereo is default in Lame too, because it's the appropiate way to encode (when the encoder does it right, like Lame).

Next, "VBR Q: 3" does not mean -q 3. it means -V 3. "Quality : Normal" is -q . And Normal means don't change it.

MinBitrate of 8 is, in fact, not possible with a 44khz input signal, but it means that it uses the lowest it can, and... guess what.... That's the default.

At last, I don't know why the setting says "Max bitrate: 192". Like lvqcl said (again), Lame documentation discourages the use of this switch.

So... The setting is "-V3 -B 192".
Again, I don't know why it limits the max bitrate.

Reply #7
Actually, it doesn't. I chose the 192kbps setting.

Glad to know that the VBR method I use in Winamp is the default in LAME 3.98.2

Moderation: Removed useless quotation of previous post, again. Let me give you a hint: try either the [FAST REPLY] or [ADD REPLY] button next time.

Reply #8
Actually, it doesn't. I chose the 192kbps setting.

There's no such thing as 192 kbps setting for VBR mode. Again, -B switch defines max. allowed bitrate for ABR/VBR modes.
http://lame.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*...itchs.html#Bmax

I encoded the same song twice: with "-V 3" and "-V 3 -B 192" settings. You can see the results on graph below (X axis - time, Y axis - bitrate). The effect of adding -B switch is quite obvious.