Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What are sound frequencies? (Read 1841 times) previous topic - next topic

What are sound frequencies?

Hi everyone on Hydrogenaudio, I want to share the second video of the serie Understanding Audio, I`m working on this project to share knowledge about basic audio.

Through this video we are going to talk about:
- What are sound frequencies
- Where the international unit Hz came from
- Frequency ranges

Thanks

https://youtu.be/D0pl1D8irsE

Re: What are sound frequencies?

Reply #1
As much as contributions are always welcome pretty much everywhere, don't you think the number of replies to your last post (ie. zero!) has proven that generic posts like these are as useful as, say, posting a video with basic explanations on what telescopes are - but in an astronomy/astrophysics forum!? ::) 

For basic, generic subjects like these, the wiki and Google are there for one reason...
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #2
Any wave propagating via air molecules is a sound wave by definition regardless of it's frequency.  Humans can only hear from around 20 to around 20,000 hz. but a wave propagating in air is still a sound wave regardless of that.  The whole idea of "frequencies of sound" is misleading at best.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Reply #3
Any wave propagating via air molecules is a sound wave by definition regardless of it's frequency.  Humans can only hear from around 20 to around 20,000 hz. but a wave propagating in air is still a sound wave regardless of that.  The whole idea of "frequencies of sound" is misleading at best.

And this too is misleading because sound can of course propagate through mediums other than air - just went through an echo-cardiogram a few weeks ago and that worked by causing my own personal molecules to propagate sound waves at ultra high frequencies.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH