Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 not opening/recognizing Ogg audio files, encoder already installed (Read 1409 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 not opening/recognizing Ogg audio files, encoder already installed

I want to play Ogg audio files but Foobar doesn't recognize them, they don't appear after scanning my music folder.

I already installed the latest Encoder pack from here: https://www.foobar2000.org/encoderpack  , I also updated Foobar (v1.6.16).

What I also tried to do is to move directly the ogg file from my Windows-explorer window to Foobar but it says "Processing files" with a green status bar but it quickly closes itself.

I can open and play the files with any other media player, but I really want to play them with Foobar as its my main music player  :(

Re: Foobar2000 not opening/recognizing Ogg audio files, encoder already installed

Reply #1
The Encoder Pack is only related to encoding. Playback is about decoding.
Sounds like your files are not valid Ogg Vorbis, Ogg FLAC, Speex or Opus files. foobar2000 v1.x requires the file extension to match the actual audio content.
foobar2000 v2.x is not so strict. It will for example happily play mp3 with incorrect .ogg extension.

You could test newer foobar2000 version or you could use one of the alternative media players that you have tried to see what the files you are playing actually are, and fix the file names.

Re: Foobar2000 not opening/recognizing Ogg audio files, encoder already installed

Reply #2
What Case said.

You got a sample file? (You can PM it over.)

Reply #3
The Encoder Pack is only related to encoding. Playback is about decoding.
Sounds like your files are not valid Ogg Vorbis, Ogg FLAC, Speex or Opus files. foobar2000 v1.x requires the file extension to match the actual audio content.
foobar2000 v2.x is not so strict. It will for example happily play mp3 with incorrect .ogg extension.

You could test newer foobar2000 version or you could use one of the alternative media players that you have tried to see what the files you are playing actually are, and fix the file names.
What Case said.

You got a sample file? (You can PM it over.)
Oh I thought v1.6 was the latest one, sorry. Ok, I downloaded this new v2.0 version and now they play correctly, they also appear in my library after the scan finally. They have the .ogg file extensions so its weird, but anyway I am happy to upgrade and to be able to play these files in my music. Thank you for the answers!

Reply #4
Since it is a kind that fb2k does recognize despite wrong extension:
View the file properties, and you will see what codec it is.

And if you try Utilities -> Verify integrity, you might get a warning saying wrong extension and e.g. "Correct handler for this content: foobar2000 MPEG Decoder"

Reply #5
Since it is a kind that fb2k does recognize despite wrong extension:
View the file properties, and you will see what codec it is.

And if you try Utilities -> Verify integrity, you might get a warning saying wrong extension and e.g. "Correct handler for this content: foobar2000 MPEG Decoder"
In the file properties says Codec: Opus
And this is what I get using the Verify integrity tool:

Item: "F:\Avith\Music\Dub-Deep Techno\Decompression_128k.ogg"
Warning: File has wrong extension: ogg
Warning: Correct handler for this content: foobar2000 Matroska/WebM Reader
Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 7:56.041000 vs 7:56.040000 decoded

All items decoded successfully.
1 item decoded with minor problems.

List of decodable but suspicious items:
"F:\Avith\Music\Dub-Deep Techno\Decompression_128k.ogg"

EDIT: ohh so these "Ogg" files are in fact WebM files right? Based on the warning of the Correct handler. So then I think I will use the Convert tool of Foobar to make them real audio files heh

Reply #6
So then I think I will use the Convert tool of Foobar to make them real audio files heh

Don't. That will just be another lossy step, and completely unnecessary.

Easier: Rename it from .ogg to .webm. Or to .mka, I think that will do just as well.

(Hunch: You got them through some kind of YouTube downloader? That uses Opus in WebM container. Then some not-so-smart utility developer thought that well, Opus goes into an Ogg container, and renamed rather than remuxed ...?)

Reply #7
So then I think I will use the Convert tool of Foobar to make them real audio files heh

Don't. That will just be another lossy step, and completely unnecessary.

Easier: Rename it from .ogg to .webm. Or to .mka, I think that will do just as well.

(Hunch: You got them through some kind of YouTube downloader? That uses Opus in WebM container. Then some not-so-smart utility developer thought that well, Opus goes into an Ogg container, and renamed rather than remuxed ...?)
Oh ok, I will do that. And yes I got these from a YT downloader that had that option of Ogg download