Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: File sizes of MP3, OGG, AAC (and what else?) for comparable audio quality? (Read 2047 times) previous topic - next topic

File sizes of MP3, OGG, AAC (and what else?) for comparable audio quality?

I used various Google-fu, but couldn't really found any info regarding this, seemingly trivial question: what are the respective file sizes of music of enjoyable quality encoded with various codecs, including MP3, OGG, AAC (and what else?) By simple multipliers. Like if the size of MP3 is 1, is the size of OGG 0.5? That may be too small, but this is what I have found here: https://archive.org/details/01VaElectroclashMixedByLarryTeeCd1Bpm

Someone encoded the same file with MP3 and OGG, and OGG is half the size. I assume she intended them to be of identical quality. It's on Archive.org, is it legit? How shall I make comparisons of similar audio files, if I'm not an audio engineer?

Re: File sizes of MP3, OGG, AAC (and what else?) for comparable audio quality?

Reply #1
Depends on the bitrate. Newer formats are much more efficient at lower bitrates.

By the way this site has a wiki that contains summaries of tests that assess quality of different formats.

Reply #2
It's on Archive.org, is it legit?

Trustworthiness or copyright issues? Think if it like Youtube: no-one checks reliability, but material can be removed over copyright claims.

Reply #3
By the way this site has a wiki that contains summaries of tests that assess quality of different formats.
Like which Wiki entry on the site answers my question specifically? I don't know. Thanks!

Reply #4
Like which Wiki entry on the site answers my question specifically? I don't know. Thanks!

Search for "listening tests". There is also an entire subforum.