Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Walmart Custom CDs (Read 6276 times) previous topic - next topic

Walmart Custom CDs

Hi I just bought a Custom CD off Walmart Custom CDs site.  I thought well I can make a custom cd plus watch my money and hey im geting what I wanted.  The thing I am woundering is am I paying for mp3s? or Waves? When I get the CD it works in my everyday CD player and it sounds ok I think? what I mean about that is I feel like mabie i'm listening to mp3s.  Some songs sound different meaning worse then my mp3 copys like your think my old mp3s sound better.  I went on FAQ on site and it claims only as they will work on CD player.  What I am trying to figure out is are they giving me MP3s just burned on a cd?  The only reason is I thought I could make lossless audio of these when buying being they are lossless audio.  I thought this would sort of fit here in general audio since its a general audio type question.

Thanks

Walmart Custom CDs

Reply #1
Hi I just bought a Custom CD off Walmart Custom CDs site.  I thought well I can make a custom cd plus watch my money and hey im geting what I wanted.  The thing I am woundering is am I paying for mp3s? or Waves? When I get the CD it works in my everyday CD player and it sounds ok I think? what I mean about that is I feel like mabie i'm listening to mp3s.  Some songs sound different meaning worse then my mp3 copys like your think my old mp3s sound better.  I went on FAQ on site and it claims only as they will work on CD player.  What I am trying to figure out is are they giving me MP3s just burned on a cd?  The only reason is I thought I could make lossless audio of these when buying being they are lossless audio.  I thought this would sort of fit here in general audio since its a general audio type question.

Thanks

Though I am not familiar with their service, you can test the spectrum of the audio on the disc yourself and look for tell-tale lowpass.

Alternatively, there is a program called Tau Analyzer by The True Audio project (makers of TTA, a lossless codec), that does just that: it tells you whether your CD was most likely made from lossless or lossy material.
UED77
wavpack 4.50 -hx3; lame 3.97 -V4 --vbr-new

Walmart Custom CDs

Reply #2
Three songs for $4.62??? What a ripoff.
To coin a pharse from my man, Freddie Flintstone,
They must be out their rock-pickin minds!

Anyway, I checked the FAQ. They said nothig about quality.
I'm assuming there are selling MP3s though. That's what you
get when you download from them. 192K MP3's

Walmart Custom CDs

Reply #3
here is  a pic of my scan what do you guys think? this is from the true real cd in my drive

well I bought a custom cd they never said it was mp3s but I just wanted to see. I thought mabie i'd get lossless out of it since it made the play in everyday CD player claim

heres a update:
I just did my killers CD Sams Town and it comes up CDDA in status instead MPEG so yea I must admit I got screwed from Walmart.  That stuffs really misleading in FAQ about it being able to play in everyday CD player but really MP3s prob encoded into wave or whatever ripped with

Walmart Custom CDs

Reply #4
isn't what theyre doing illegal???

Walmart Custom CDs

Reply #5
Thanks

did you see this link?  i'd say it apply (& let them know why):
<http://www.walmart.com/returns/returns_how.gsp>

Walmart Custom CDs

Reply #6
The Walmart CUSTOM CD's are not MP3 files.  They are uncompressed files just like you would receive on a store bought CD.  This is why they limit you to 80 minutes on a CD because that all a CD can hold at uncompressed file sizes.  I have ordered these and double checked them after receiving them.  They are a great way to get individual songs.

Unfortunately, I just received an email from Walmart announcing that they are discontinuing the program on March 2, 2009.

Walmart Custom CDs

Reply #7
Doesn't mean they aren't lossily compressed files that were decompressed to WAV.

Moderation: Removed useless quote of previous post.

Walmart Custom CDs

Reply #8
@ "mp3's suck"
All tracks on Red Book audio CDs are obviously stereo 16-bit 44.1KHz PCM.
You've added nothing to the conversation. Thanks for the needless bump.

This was a question of provenance.
elevatorladylevitateme