Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: could I change the default temp folder in foobar2000 portable? (Read 1092 times) previous topic - next topic

could I change the default temp folder in foobar2000 portable?

Hi
may i ask if is there a way to change the default foobar2000 temp folder   ?
the problem is at work computers  i got several issue related to write access , protected folder and limited user account and antivirus settings
this happen on other work computers too ,I can't change folder permissions , but i can't run foobar2000 portable on an usb stick
the operation system is windows 10 64bit updated
I guess foobar2000 does use temp folder for tagging and other utilities , and not to encode/decode filess or rip a cd.
I would really like to change foobar2000 temp folder ,seeing i can't use change windows temp folder
thanks

Re: could I change the default temp folder in foobar2000 portable?

Reply #1
None of the issues you describe sound like they have anything to do with temp directory.

The player itself uses temp directory only rarely. With default setup I can only trigger temp directory use by handling large archives - those get temporarily decoded to %temp%.

I somewhat doubt your work prevents use of temp dir. They probably block execution of files from USB media and they may block execution of files from %temp%, but the latter doesn't affect foobar2000.

If you wish to test your theory about temp being the problem you can achieve that by setting environment variables for foobar. For example to use directory called "Temp" inside the portable foobar's install dir as the temp location you can use this batch file:
Code: [Select]
@echo off
set TEMP="%~d0%~p0Temp"
set TMP=%TEMP%
start foobar2000.exe
Save the file as "Launch foobar2000.cmd" and start the player by double clicking on the newly created script.

Re: could I change the default temp folder in foobar2000 portable?

Reply #2
None of the issues you describe sound like they have anything to do with temp directory.

The player itself uses temp directory only rarely. With default setup I can only trigger temp directory use by handling large archives - those get temporarily decoded to %temp%.

I somewhat doubt your work prevents use of temp dir. They probably block execution of files from USB media and they may block execution of files from %temp%, but the latter doesn't affect foobar2000.

If you wish to test your theory about temp being the problem you can achieve that by setting environment variables for foobar. For example to use directory called "Temp" inside the portable foobar's install dir as the temp location you can use this batch file:
Code: [Select]
@echo off
set TEMP="%~d0%~p0Temp"
set TMP=%TEMP%
start foobar2000.exe
Save the file as "Launch foobar2000.cmd" and start the player by double clicking on the newly created script.
Hi Case
I can't test it now ,because i'm not at work , I will do Monday
i don't know if  can change the windows temp value , i'm running w10 pro very limited
thanks