Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: External Tags (Read 81321 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: External Tags

Reply #50
Hmm, under what circumstances doesn't ADS survive copying?
It isn't retained here when copying or moving from one drive to another.

I just uploaded version 0.9 of the component where I added an optional feature to use NTFS Alternate Data Streams for storing the tags. The setting is found under Tagging section of advanced preferences.
Note that the component will not automatically remove .tag files and those will be used for tag writing if they exist. To switch from .tag to stream, the old files need to be removed.

Reply #51
Man you're fast  :o !  But THANKS for holding on to the "easy and visible" option as well.  I guess sometimes you really CAN "please everybody"   :)

Reply #52
That was fast indeed! I never would've expected it so soon considering ADS is not all that well documented. Seriously, you're my hero of the year. Maybe I can finally get some sleep at last.

Reply #53
The Tag Reader is marked and located on top. All previous (internal) disappear when an external tag is inserted.
With the tag reader unchecked, the internal tags are displayed again.
Version 0.8-0.9
What could be the problem?

Reply #54
What do you mean exactly? The external tag overrides internal one and that is by design. If you add a blank external tag it will look like the file has no tag at all. But that should require you to remove all the fields yourself, by default when you create a tag it should have all the values from the internal tag.

Reply #55
When the checkbox is activated, all other tags are lost, including newly added external ones.

Reply #56
Is that a file you added an external tag to? It sounds like it is and the external tag is empty. If you hold shift, right click the file and select Tagging -> Remove External Tags your file should return to normal. At least after you reload metadata.

But how did you get into this situation? Is there a bug causing this or did you do something unexpected?

Reply #57
This happens when adding a non-empty external tag. I can't understand the reason.

Reply #58
You don't give much information. Another situation I can think of is that you are dealing with cue sheets or other tracks with multiple subsongs and you only tag a single subsong. The file gets a new tag but only the subsong you tagged will have any information in it.

If it's something else tell at least what file format you are dealing with.

Reply #59
This is a normal FLAC track, without CUE. "foobar2000 FLAC Decoder" is below the External Tags (writer) level.
PS. I just checked on a clean foobar2000 installation, the problem repeats. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I will understand further.

Reply #60
Perhaps show what you do because I can't make it fail.

Reply #61
I noticed the *.tag file is present, and it is not empty however, for some reason the data is not readable. Foobar displays an empty window because of this. Also, the problem is only in versions 0.8-0.9. Version 0.6 and below, external tags displays.

Reply #62
Sounds weird. I'll attach a debug version here that will report all exceptions to the console. Hopefully that will reveal what's going on.

Edit: attachment removed.

Reply #63
at the time of adding an external tag:
External Tags - get_file_stats error: Object not found
External Tags - get_info error: Object not found
External Tags - 0 fields loaded

Reply #64
Alright, you were tagging with the regular Properties dialog. I hadn't tested that scenario since adding the context menu command to force external tag to any format.

The issue should be fixed in External Tags v0.9.1. If everything works properly for you I'll put it on the repository when I wake up.

Reply #65
I did not even pay attention to the special dialogue, believing that this is a duplicate of the standard only.
Now, it works, thanks!

Reply #66
Case, I know this question is outside the original intended use ("don't natively support tagging") but:

THE way to commit external tags back to internal would be
[(0) create .tag files, not ADS]
(1) Select the files in question
(2) Open Properties, and with Properties open:
(3) Delete the .tag files, or at least move them out of the way
(4) Make some change to the Properties, so that Apply lights up
(5) Apply or OK it
?

Reply #67
That works. Should work with ADS too, unless there's a bug somewhere.

Reply #68
@Porcus - new version released with a Commit context menu command (hidden by default). It will read the tags and possible album art, write the tags to file, remove the external tags file on success, then attempts to write the album art to the target. Album art handling here may be unnecessary code as I believe my component can only take over that functionality when the format doesn't support it natively.

Reply #70
The remaining fields were "spam meta fields" in my LargeFieldsConfig.txt, and at least the following seems to provoke the behaviour consistently; some need Shift-rightclick.

Start with no external tags
Tagging -> Edit External Tags
Tagging -> Rewrite File Tags
Tagging -> Commit External Tags to file

I have issues getting the Commit up if I do not do anything to it in the meantime.

cone.

"gone", of course.

Reply #71
Thanks for the quick warning. I had tested it with previously untagged files and didn't see issues initially. New version uploaded that shouldn't cause such problems anymore.

Note that the Commit and Remove commands aren't visible unless foobar2000 reads the actual external tags. Until I fix automatic info refresh for forced external tags the most reliable way to make them show up is to reload info.

I hope you don't find more issues as I don't want to run out of version numbers. There are still some features missing before I can call it 1.0.

Reply #73
Thanks for informing. Fixed. I also made tag edits refresh instantly (doesn't work with streams).