Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: dock to 3.5mm to rca transparent relative to dock (Read 3657 times) previous topic - next topic

dock to 3.5mm to rca transparent relative to dock

i was looking to buy a mini-dock for my ipod classic and the audio output from the mini-dock is via a 3.5mm connection which then splits to two rca cables.

if curious, the product is here:

https://www.sendstation.com/us/products/poc...ineout-usb.html

my question, would audio coming from the dock of an ipod be hindered in any way by this 3.5mm connection (relative to a dock to strait rca cables connection)? in other words, if you could plug a cord directly into the ipod dock and go strait to rca cables, would that be a better connection than the above, which has to transverse through the 3.5mm.

Reply #1
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=23120

Since we've got that's out of the way...

You have to plug a 3.5mm jack into the back of a dock as well, don't you?

Reply #2
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=23120

Since we've got that's out of the way...

You have to plug a 3.5mm jack into the back of a dock as well, don't you?

thanks for the response.

the mini dock plugs into the 30 pin connector on the bottom of the ipod, and the audio output from the minidock is through a 3.5mm connection (hope i answered your question). so, the cord would be 3.5mm on one end (plugging into the minidock), and rca on the other.

my question, would this 3.5mm connection lower the sound quality in any way relative to a connection that was simply just rca cables strait from the minidock.

Reply #3
Is 380V 50A going to pass through that 3.5mm jack?

Sometimes the proof of something comes from proving that the opposite is absurd. In other words:

If we take that the connection does lower the sound quality, what do we use to justify that?
Is it because electrons see it as being "smaller than yours" and laugh, so they don't jump in?
Is it because they (the electrons) are so fat that don't "fit" in a 3.5mm jack?

Now, more seriously: 3.5mm connectors are only "worse" (relatively speaking) than RCA or bigger jack connectors in terms of duration. It is easier to break a 3.5mm connector (or those smaller 2.5 in mobile phones) than would one of the others. (Yet, i managed to break one standard jack the other day    )
The surface of contact is a non-issue on a "line level" voltage and if at all, you could be worried if it might get dirty.

About interferences... they are generally captured by the "capacity" of a cable, and a connector wouln't have that much capacity.

[edit: fixed a few typos]

Reply #4
' date='Jan 18 2008, 12:56' post='542296']
Is 380V 50A going to pass through that 3.5mm jack?

Sometimes the proof of something comes from proving that the opposite is absurd. In other words:

If we take that the connection does lower the sound quality, what do we use to justify that?
Is it because electrons see it as being "smaller than yours" and laugh, so they don't jump in?
Is it because they (the electrons) are so fat that don't "fit" in a 3.5mm jack?

Now, more seriously: 3.5mm connectors are only "worse" (relatively speaking) than RCA or bigger jack connectors in terms of duration. It is easier to break a 3.5mm connector (or those smaller 2.5 in mobile phones) than would one of the others. (Yet, i managed to break one standard jack the other day    )
The surface of contact is a non-issue on a "line level" voltage and if at all, you could be worried if it might get dirty.

About interferences... they are generally captured by the "capacity" of a cable, and a connector wouln't have that much capacity.

[edit: fixed a few typos]

Thanks for the response.

What you have said is what my intuition told me, it definitely makes sense.

So, as a follow-up question/curiosity..... my dad used to have these headphones he hooked into his amp, and the male connection at the end of the headphones was huge relative to these 3.5mm (i wish i had an idea of what these were called numerically, but i don't, but i think you know the ones i mean). these would sound EXACTLY the same as if the connection was 3.5mm???? i guess so according to your statements. i do see your point about the fragility though..... you'd be very hard pressed to break the male on the end of those headphones... haha.

thanks again.

Reply #5
Yup, that bigger one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

Concretely, one of the (black) rings broke, which is what seals the different parts. So i had to replace it. :\