Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: repairing an RCA jack on the back of an integrated amplifier (Read 4729 times) previous topic - next topic

repairing an RCA jack on the back of an integrated amplifier

When pulling out a patch cable, I somehow pulled the jack out of the amplifier. Now there is a stub, where the post can fit, but it fits loosely, and the only output I get out of that channel is a hum. I have also seemed to have lost the piece (ouch!), but radio shack seems to have a replacement part (with the soldering points)...

Has anybody else ever done this? Does anybody know how to fix this? The machine is the Denon PMA 920. The damage is to the right channel phono-in jack...

The way I see it, I have several options:

1-use a phono preamp, which might improve the quality anyway.

2-fix the thing with a replacement part, and continue using the unit's phono stage.

3-have the unit professionally fixed, but I have no idea where to go-I bought the unit on the other side of the country, and have none of the packing materials.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or assistance.

Reply #2
Thanks rocketsauce-

Interestingly, there are no "super service centers" in the state, but I will look into some of the authorized service places later on today...

Reply #3
Those jacks typically have 6 or more soldering points (for purposes of strength) and just removing the old one can be a serious b**ch (especially without damaging nearby components).  Probably a good idea to have a pro do it.

I would think just about any electronics shop could do it though, especially if the circuit board is easily accessible.

Reply #4
Originally posted by fewtch
Those jacks typically have 6 or more soldering points (for purposes of strength) and just removing the old one can be a serious b**ch (especially without damaging nearby components).  Probably a good idea to have a pro do it.

I would think just about any electronics shop could do it though, especially if the circuit board is easily accessible.

Aha..  multiple threads..  Just addressed this a bit on the other one.

That would be the problem,  if there are lots of points.  But, not a bad one.  Using solder wick, or a solder sucker,  you can desolder each joint in turn,  and get it loose easily..  rather than have to melt all joints at once.  With a little practice,  it's easy..  (being said by someone who's done this for many years) 

But connectors have nice, big leads coming thru big holes..  as opposed to  smaller things like resistor or IC legs.  So, they should be easy,  even for the inexperienced..  But it will depend on what's nearby,  and are there any gotcha's like folded over tabs that are now filled with solder..  A pic of the top and bottom area would clear up a lot..