Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 (Mobile Edition)  (Read 177829 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 (Mobile Edition)

A public preview of the Windows Universal (Windows Phone 10) edition of foobar2000 is now available.

In addition the foobar2000 mobile forum is now open for all to access:

foobar2000 mobile (edited)

The link to this preview:

http://foobar2000.com/get-windows | Windows 10, Windows Phone 8.1
http://foobar2000.com/get-ios | iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad app
http://foobar2000.com/get-android | Android app

General readme for new users [work in progress]:
http://forum.foobar2000.com/forum/showthread.php?150-foobar2000-mobile-usage-tips-read-me-first (archived)

Update 2016-05-07: iOS version is up as well
Update 2016-05-09: Android version has been released!
Update 2016-05-21: Windows Phone 8.1 now supported in the free version.

Re: Foobar2000 (Mobile Edition)

Reply #1
Great!!!

(installing on my lumia ... :) )

Reply #2
Looking forward to the android version.

I noticed this on the windows version page....

No FFmpeg used for decoding - Microsoft codecs used for MP3 & AAC

Is gapless playback of lame encoded mp3s supported?

Reply #3
And works well for common playback of FLAC/MP3/M4A :)

Awesome job!

Reply #4
foobar2000 without gapless playback would be a joke, so yes it's supported. If not, it's a bug.

Reply #5
Pros:
  • ReplayGain support and it's configurable.
  • Ability to downmix to stereo or mono (very useful).
  • UPnP Media Server Support.
Cons:
  • .m3u playlists support seems broken (plays random songs and doesn't seem to allow any option for playing it in order).
  • No network support for internet radio streams (private home servers be damned), VLC for Android does support this.
  • Some album art doesn't load in the mobile version where in the desktop version it does.

Reply #6
What is higher quality output? MediaStreamSource (default) or Xaudio2?

Thank you

Reply #8
Thank you for the links. However it is not clear from them the properties of those interfaces. Which is more similar to WASAPI under desktop W10?

Reply #9
If you can tell the difference between them, the answer is obvious.

Reply #10
I am asking about technical solution chosen - "behind" those names. In desktop Windows it is clear - with DirectSound and WASAPI.

Reply #11
Whatever one works right on your mobile hardware and the nature of what you're trying to play (which is irrelevant with foobar2000 mobile because it doesn't support DRM).  Stick with the default option.  If it works poorly or not at all use the other one.

For the record I don't have a Windows 10 phone.  I simply tried it out on my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Tower PC which is a 5 year old Windows 7 era machine.  :)

Reply #12
How does one access their music library when they're out and about with their phones?

Reply #13
microSDXC card. Mine is just 64GB but you can get 128GB/200GB variants now.

I suppose streaming is an option if you have the data allowance or have access to wifi but I generally don't.

Reply #14
Same here. 32 gb enough for my small collection.

Reply #15
Google Play Music works pretty well for me, I haven't used anywhere near the 20GB/month my subscription includes.

I could fit my entire collection on a 256GB SDXC card, though, with plenty of room to spare.

Reply #16
Can't wait to try the Android version!
| QAAC ~ 192 kbps |

Reply #17
  • No network support for internet radio streams (private home servers be damned), VLC for Android does support this.
  • Some album art doesn't load in the mobile version where in the desktop version it does.
Non loading album art - send details in a private message please.
Private home servers, I know this may not be the most convenient option, but it can talk to foo_upnp over the internet - just publish your foo_upnp service by configuring user/password and forwarding the port, then specify http://user:password@server-address/ in user specified UPnP servers.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #18

Thank you

Neither is higher quality. If either was inherently better, the other would come with a big fat warning or be unavailable.

The reason why the modes are switchable is that each is broken differently on different Windows devices. I made the known working configuration the default, but the ability to switch might be helpful when testing insider builds of Windows, in case the default configuration quits working properly.

XAudio2: Do not use on phones. Stops playing when the app is no longer in foreground.

MediaStreamSource: Works OK on phones but broken on regular Windows 10 (desktop/tablet) - lags and causes extreme memory usage if the PCM stream format matches windows mixer format.
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8bfb60c7-66f2-46e1-8c1c-120d82299319/uwp-mediaplayermediastreamsource-outputting-48khz-pcm-stutters-and-consumes-gigabytes-of-memory?forum=wpdevelop

Reply #19
Looking forward to the android version.

I noticed this on the windows version page....

No FFmpeg used for decoding - Microsoft codecs used for MP3 & AAC

All formats are played gaplessly. We use own demuxers for most formats - just like in regular foobar2000 for Windows desktop. Only packet-to-PCM decoding is handled by Microsoft codecs instead of FFmpeg.

Note that Microsoft codec interop code was copied over from Boom so it's pretty well tested.

Reply #20
So, Foobar2000 has no streaming support other than UPnP?  If I want to access my music when I am not at home, I need a different solution?

Reply #21

Thank you

Neither is higher quality. If either was inherently better, the other would come with a big fat warning or be unavailable.

The reason why the modes are switchable is that each is broken differently on different Windows devices. I made the known working configuration the default, but the ability to switch might be helpful when testing insider builds of Windows, in case the default configuration quits working properly.

XAudio2: Do not use on phones. Stops playing when the app is no longer in foreground.

MediaStreamSource: Works OK on phones but broken on regular Windows 10 (desktop/tablet) - lags and causes extreme memory usage if the PCM stream format matches windows mixer format.
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8bfb60c7-66f2-46e1-8c1c-120d82299319/uwp-mediaplayermediastreamsource-outputting-48khz-pcm-stutters-and-consumes-gigabytes-of-memory?forum=wpdevelop

Many thanks for explaining!!

Reply #22
So, Foobar2000 has no streaming support other than UPnP?  If I want to access my music when I am not at home, I need a different solution?
The feature set is not frozen yet.

Feel free to suggest what streaming protocol you'd like us to support, it will be looked into.

Reply #24

Thank you

And one more question is WASAPI even available (as a MS interface) on mobile (Lumia) ?