Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_midi (Read 82260 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_midi

Reply #300
Apparently, you couldn't wait to create facts? I don't understand why you don't seek dialog first. I was trying to help and build some bridges...

Well, while you are at it you overlooked removing this from the foo_midi component page:
Code: [Select]
It also supports Ian Luck's wonderful BASSMIDI SoundFont (.sf2) based synthesizer, including bundled support
for his .sf2pack format, which is nearly identical to the basic .sf2 format, except the file identifier is "sfpk"
instead of "sfbk", and the audio section of the file is a compressed format supported by BASS that also supports
seeking, as it decodes the samples as they are referenced by the MIDI files. The compressed format is identified
only by its bitstream properties. BASS includes support for MP3 and Ogg Vorbis samples, while plugins are bundled
to support FLAC, WavPack, Musepack, and Opus format samples.

Reply #301
Bring us back in_midi by Peter  :))

Keep calm!

Reply #302
I was made aware that any application asking for donations within the app, even if it doesn't provide any extra features, but I do (adding your name in the credits if you have been a Patreon subscriber), then I would need to seek at least a Shareware license of BASS for each product that I offer, and at most ever accept €40 from a given person. I have already violated these terms enough times, yet never managed to hold on to a minimum of €125 for Cog, and another €125 for foo_midi.

So, I am now in the process of switching all of my MIDI synthesizers from BASSMIDI to FluidSynth. I will be attempting to support compressed audio streams for sf2pack files as well, but that will come later. The compressed audio support should be simple enough to support, at least in foobar, and probably also in Cog.
That's truly a sad news. Now non-GM MIDI files are completely screwed up. Even with GM files the 7-point interpolation is producing horrible artifacts or obvious frequency response change in some files. I think I will stay with the previous version of foo_midi forever, just like I am still using your old version of BASSMIDI driver.

Reply #303
Good. I don't really maintain foobar plugins that much any more anyway. Maybe someone else should take over, and remove all traces of the Patreon credits.

Reply #304
Anyway, reading from many previous posts complained about virus, limitations of sf2 standard (e.g. MSB and LSB patches cannot coexist), malformed MIDI files... I did post some files but that's because the issues were specific to foo_midi, and I did not report files which are also problemtic for some other popular sequencers like Cakewalk, Reaper and such.

And secret sauce. I have an SC-D70 and I must say Roland sucked, and sucks, you rock. That SC-VA is piece of crap.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=1861656&postcount=12
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=161198

I am totally impressed that you even took that HALion request seriously, and added non-standard loop point support though I have no use of them.

Basically, I was totally happy with foo_midi, especially when 16 point interpolation was added and some GS/XG specific commands were added. These are not supported in your old BASSMIDI driver. I did try OmniMIDI but it just can't replace your stuff. A big "thank you" I must say, and respect your decisions.

Reply #306
Oh well. Kind of too late now, since I don't think I'll be reversing this decision.

Edit: The source still supports it, so if someone wants to make a fork that supports it, the license permits that.

Reply #307
Oh well, you kinda seemed rushed when you went ahead removing BASS altogether. I strongly doubt anyone is going to pick it up and reinstate BASS into a fork of foo_midi. So I hope you will reconsider your decision. It would be sad to see BASS be gone forever.

Anyway, I would suggest keeping FluidSynth implemented as is and add back BASS so that you have two independent MIDI synthesizer solutions to choose from. Maybe put each synthesizer into its own subfolder, so the files are structurally more organized and distinguishable. This layout would provide you with flexibility and freedom, should any future circumstances require you to make a similar decision again, which of course I hope will not happen.

Reply #308
I cannot make folders for the dependencies, as they're loaded on component load, so they have to be in the same folder as it.

Reply #309
Hi. A couple questions about the switch to FluidSynth...

1) Will sf3 be the only supported soundfont compression method or will sf2pack
support be added? Some sf2 files refuse to convert to sf3 using MuseScore sf3convert utility.

2) What about SFlist functionality? Loading a sflist and playing a file crashes foobar now.

Reply #310
These issues could easily be sorted out by returning BASS to the plugin. Or, if that's kinda impracticable, let two solutions co-exist: foo_BASSMIDI and foo_FluidSynth. Here's hoping...

Reply #311
No.

Reply #312
Would it be possible to add a gain multiplier for FluidSynth mode similar to what VLC has (admittedly, buried in their advanced options)? I use a high quality soundfont that also has ridiculously loud base gain, which gives me literal headaches when listening to a mixed-media playlist since apparently nobody makes in-line volume controls on headphones any more. A Gain Multiplier would let me set 0.15x as the multiplier, which would put MIDIs back in line with my other music.

Reply #313
The gain is already set to 0.2, so you'd need to set it to 0.03 for that soundfont.

Reply #314
Oh cool, so the option already exists and I just can't find it.

Where do I set the soundfont gain?

Reply #315
I don't have an option for it. I'll have to add one.

Reply #316
Hello,

I'm trying to play the MIDI files provided for The 7th Guest. They came with my purchase on GOG, but the same files are also available on Mirsoft: http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_ele=MTI3NQ==

As per description, tracks 1 through 6 ("converted from the game by unknown method") work fine, but all the others ("converted from XMI using Winamp") aren't even recognized as a supported file format. I just get an error "Invalid MIDI file".

Is there something I can do to make them work with foo_midi? I'm not knowledgeable about MIDI at all, I can only say that they work in Windows Media Player.

Reply #317
I've fixed that bug now. It was an issue with there being tracks with zero duration. Now it checks only if there is at least one track with a duration.

Reply #318
Wow, that was really quick! Thanks a lot, I can confirm all tracks work with the new version.

Reply #319
I was curious and tried to set RG for a midi file. It worked. But I cannot find the database where that info is stored in. Where does it hide?

Reply #320
Foobar2000 profile folder, under the "indexes" subfolder.

Reply #321
Thank you, I found an index-data folder which seems to have the tags looking at it in a hex editor. Is there a way to clean up these extraneous indices? Mine is full of random data from ages ago.

Also do you know why some midis fail with foo_verifier with 'reported length inaccurate', while others don't? Being midis I suppose there is no length specified in the file at all, but the synthesizer has to report. I was curious what would happen if I ran it on the midis as well.

Reply #322
Don't bother using foo_verifier with any synthesized or sequenced format. The length reported doesn't include configurations for playing an extra second at the end if enabled, or for loops, which are also not reported as total length.

Reply #323
I see, thank you for the explanation. And thank you very much for foo_midi, it's a lot of fun to try different soundfonts. I'd be curious to know what format that database is in, but it seems to be proprietary stuff from Peter. Open source fb2k would be so great - deadbeef doesn't come close, even if it looks similar.

Reply #324
The file format is proprietary, but the database only stores an APEv2 tag of the metadata.