Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Creative Releases GPL'd Linux X-Fi drivers (Read 3164 times) previous topic - next topic

Creative Releases GPL'd Linux X-Fi drivers

Finally after years and a poor binary (64 bit only) driver, Creative has decided to GPL their X-Fi linux driver.

The Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card driver for Linux from Creative Labs was awful. That's simply the nicest way to put it. The driver was home to many bugs, initially only supported 64-bit Linux, and it was arriving extremely late. The open-source drivers supporting the Creative X-Fi drivers have also been at a stand still. However, Creative Labs today has finally turned this situation around and they have open-sourced the code to this notorious driver. The source-code for the Creative X-Fi driver is now licensed under the GNU GPLv2.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti..._gift&num=1
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #1
i hope this is a pattern. these companies clearly cannot manage their own drivers, so why try? *frustrating*

later

Reply #2
Finally after years and a poor binary (64 bit only) driver, Creative has decided to GPL their X-Fi linux driver

Creative will still be associated with snake oil products and bad reputation. I don't care what new products they come out with it's always going to be the same old story. They said the same thing about supporting "OpenAL" until they swooped in and added their own "proprietary extensions" to work with the hardware. You often wonder if they really care about the open source community at all or they are just doing it, becuase everyone is tired of their foolish games. 
budding I.T professional

Reply #3
i hope this is a pattern. these companies clearly cannot manage their own drivers, so why try? *frustrating*

later

I heard the Vista driver for the Xi-Fi are just plain awfull. Since Microsoft moved the sound system out of the kernel, which was because of Creative's crappy drivers in the past, and for other things such as DRM.

Seems like major hardware manufactures are starting to follow AMD / ATi's Open Source strategy, which I hope I hope nVidia will do the same; but i doubt it.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"