Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD Recording via SPDIF (Read 5054 times) previous topic - next topic

CD Recording via SPDIF

Hi I did a bit of searching to find an answer to my problem but couldnt seem to find one. I have been using foobar2000 for a while now and just got SPDIF out on my computer. I tried recording a cd from foobar onto an MD via SPDIF. The problem is that it records the entire cd as one track - so I'm guessing there isnt a pause between tracks. Is there a way to change this? 

Thanks
JW

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #2
Thanks silent. i copied that dll into the foobar folder but when i start foobar i get an error message saying "this application has failed to start because utf8api.dll was not found". When i remove the dll that i just downloaded from the foobar folder i dont get this message. Anyway to fix the error?

Cheers
JW

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #3
Actually it doesnt matter i downloaded the newest version and things they be fine.

Thanks for your help silent

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #4
ok sorry for all the posts but things are not ok. Even with a 2 second silent track between the tracks on the cd my MD still records the album as one long track. I trued using that plugin but its still not worked. I'm using the spdif thats onboard on my SFF pc. Can anyone shed any light on it?

Thanks
Jack

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #5
Did you definitely add the DSP to the active DSPs list ?

Did you try more than 2 seconds? 2 seconds should generally be enough but try up to 5-7 seconds depending on the manufacturer/model of you MD unit.

If its Sony make sure SmartSpace or equiv. is enabled.

And i think you need to change dither mode ( in prefs/playback, i think the first two options are OK, you might as well turn it off otherwise )

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #6
I made sure the DSP was added to the active DSPs list and now the gap between each track is around 10 seconds but my MD recorder still doesnt split them, just sees it all as one track. As for dither mode, I can't see it in prefs > playback. (I'm using v0.7 Beta 22 btw) Any more ideas?

Thanks
Jack

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #7
OK sorry, my bad i didnt see dither mode (doh) but seen it now and turned it off and it had no effect

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #8
I dont know, i tried with my MD it works fine..

One note, if I put Pause between tracks at the end of my DSP list foobar just gets stuck at the end of the track (whilst it works at the beginning of my DSP chain, 0.7b22), but I dont think thats of any relevance to you.

edit: btw can you notice the 5 secs being added between each track ?

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #9
Hiya mate, im not sure what you mean by "can you notice the 5 secs being added between each track ? "

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #10
Hiya mate, im not sure what you mean by "can you notice the 5 secs being added between each track ? "

I mean is there actually a 5 sec pause ? in 0.7b22 the track time sort of skips backwards if you need a visual indication.

And have you checked you sound card mixer settings, maybe something like bass/treble controls could intefere ?

Sorry Im just guessing now.

edit: can you get it start a new track by pausing playback in the middle of a track then resuming playback a few secs later ? and do you have trouble with programs aside from foobar, or with an analogue connection (if you unit supports it) ?

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #11
First of all guesses are welcome! cos im stumped. There is definitely a 10 or so second pause, i hear it (well i cant hear the silence but you know what i mean) and the counter shows it too.  Pausing in the middle of the track doesnt make the MD create a new track, it just records silence  I havent tried with any different programs cos i didnt wanna install anything other than foobar. And i dont have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to try analog.

The only thing that strikes me odd is when i go into Volume control, i cannot change the SPDIF volume or balance, its greyed out. I can click advanced but cannot change the bass or treble levels, the only thing i can check is the "1 Sampling rate conversion for SPDIF output" Is this the cause of the problem you reckon?

Thanks for your help man
Jack

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #12
As far as I know if the MD recorder was getting a wrong sample rate, it would say "No signal" or something but obviously things could differ between models/manufacturers. You could try messing about with it anyway.

Sorry I dont know, is "SmartSpace" or equiv defintely enabled on your recorder ? Have you successfully done this before ?

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #13
It used to say "No signal" but i sorted all that so the red light on SPDIF is always on and signal is always on. I dont know what smart space is  and no, i have never done this before.

Thanks again
Jack

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #14
On my MZ-R50 the track mark adding function of "SmartSpace" is labelled as "synchro rec".

Another thing to check is the vu meter on your MD while recording.  If there is any signal, it will not see it as silence.  I always have to disable dithering to get mine to record the track marks correctly.

Edit:
Dithering silence doesn't result in silence.

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #15
Its called SmartSpace on my Sony HiFi, thats where i got it from , and he says he's turned dithering off..

But yeah, check the VU meter. If it is silence then theres something wrong on the MD side off things ("SmartSpace" being the obvious thing..)

What MD recorder is it? (And sound card?) Perhaps you should find someone with the same one, or take a look through the manual to find out about "SmartSpace" or whatever it is called on you unit ..

edit: Actually i think the right option on my hifi is Track Mark - Level Sync / Track Mark - Off. That would make more sense.. I think SmartSpace was something about converting 20 secs silence to 2 secs, but then I havent double checked the manual..

I also dont think its far fetched that the unit will not insert track marks based on silence when recrding via S/PDIF since its expecting the info through the signal.

Is there some kind off "Music-Sync" button? I was reading something or other in a web manual on minidisc.org .. But it would be better to know the model off your unit to get its manual..

CD Recording via SPDIF

Reply #16
Finally ive got it sorted!! I didnt have the Sync recording option on on my MD player - everything works fine now.

Again thanks very much for your help, I was well stumped without it 

JW