Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2238856 times) previous topic - next topic

[seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #2050
Multiple plays on Ipod won't be scrobbled as I asked earlier in this thread.
Is there a possibility to scrobble all the plays with the same time stamp. This is how the official plugin handles the problem, that there is only the last play on the iPod stored with an time stamp.

http://www.last.fm/help/faq?category=iPod+Scrobbling

Thank you!

Reply #2051
Anyway, due to the new protection mechanisms they have added, don't expect proper support for the 3.0 firmware anytime soon. (The only thing that I could add is read-only support).

Ugh I hate Apple.  I don't suppose you want to work on adding Zune HD support when that comes out do you? (kidding) 

Reply #2052
I'm having a slight problem with the built-in converter.  It works for everything except my 24-bit FLAC files.  They convert fine using foobar's converter with the same encoder settings, so I'm not sure what the issue is.  No errors being spit out anywhere I can see either.
Sounds like my fault - thanks, I'll have a look.

Multiple plays on Ipod won't be scrobbled as I asked earlier in this thread.
Is there a possibility to scrobble all the plays with the same time stamp. This is how the official plugin handles the problem, that there is only the last play on the iPod stored with an time stamp.

http://www.last.fm/help/faq?category=iPod+Scrobbling

Thank you!
Good link - thanks, we also know how they deal with the Shuffle now. However, the change you mention would need to be made on foo_audioscrobbler's side.

Reply #2053
Thank you for your fast reply. I'll mention it in the thread of foo_audioscrobbler and hopefully I'll find an open ear.

Reply #2054
Does the fact that 3.0 is jailbroken by redsn0w now make 3.0 support any easier?  Like, maybe for jailbreak only?

Reply #2055
Does the fact that 3.0 is jailbroken by redsn0w now make 3.0 support any easier?  Like, maybe for jailbreak only?

this is what i've been wondering.. my current phone has opened too many beers and the screen is cracked, i'd buy an iphone if i could sync my playback stats with it. but i don't know if i'd want to use < 3.0 software with some of the new features, but i'm open to jail breaking it, especially if it means i don't have to install itunes and its goons.

Reply #2056
Version 0.6.4.5 released.
I tried to add Shuffle 3G support, though I have no idea if it works. Hopefully someone can tell me.....

I'm having a slight problem with the built-in converter.  It works for everything except my 24-bit FLAC files.  They convert fine using foobar's converter with the same encoder settings, so I'm not sure what the issue is.  No errors being spit out anywhere I can see either.
I tried and it did seem to work. How many channels do your files have?

Not in itself, no - you'd need to find a way to stop the device validating the database signature.

Reply #2057
I tried and it did seem to work. How many channels do your files have?

Sorry, I was mistaken.  It keeps on trying to remove/add the same 120 tracks every time I synchronize, and some of them were 24-bit FLACs which I thought was the issue.  Most of these problem tracks are seemingly no different than the majority of my music collection (stereo 16-bit/44.1khz FLAC) which synchronizes just fine.  Also, even though they weirdly try to reload every time I synchronize, most of those 120 tracks play just fine on my iPod (though at least one of the albums does not play on my iPod at all, it just skips through every track like they are empty files).  Now I really have no idea what the problem is.

Reply #2058
Sorry, I was mistaken.  It keeps on trying to remove/add the same 120 tracks every time I synchronize, and some of them were 24-bit FLACs which I thought was the issue.
If you run it twice consecutively, does it prompt to re-transfer those on the second attempt?

(though at least one of the albums does not play on my iPod at all, it just skips through every track like they are empty files).
Is this converted FLAC as well?

Reply #2059
Sorry, I was mistaken.  It keeps on trying to remove/add the same 120 tracks every time I synchronize, and some of them were 24-bit FLACs which I thought was the issue.
If you run it twice consecutively, does it prompt to re-transfer those on the second attempt?

I just tried synchronizing twice in a row and the same 120 tracks came up the second time.

(though at least one of the albums does not play on my iPod at all, it just skips through every track like they are empty files).
Is this converted FLAC as well?

Yeah, I realized the problem with these is the sample rate.  They're 24-bit/96khz, they're converted to 16-bit but not downsampled to 44.1khz.  Seems unrelated to the synchronization problem.

Reply #2060
I just tried synchronizing twice in a row and the same 120 tracks came up the second time.
Hmm, strange. What filesystem are the source files stored in, and what format are you converting to? If MP3, do you have ID3v2 compatibility mode enabled? Is there some vague pattern to it (whole albums etc.?)

The following things are checked to match up files: last modified date, filesize, and artist, album, title, tracknumber, discnumber meta fields. For converted files, for the first two the values of the original source file are used - they are stored in a separate database. So, it seems one of those things is falling down. You can also check if nothing is going wrong with linking the files to the separate database by having a look if those files have a "yes" in the "In DopDB" column in Manage contents.

Yeah, I realized the problem with these is the sample rate.  They're 24-bit/96khz, they're converted to 16-bit but not downsampled to 44.1khz.  Seems unrelated to the synchronization problem.
Ah, yes the component doesn't resample itself, in most cases the iPod supports up to 48000Hz. I will change this at some point, thanks.

Reply #2061
When will iPod manager support OS3.0?

Reply #2063
Hmm, strange. What filesystem are the source files stored in, and what format are you converting to? If MP3, do you have ID3v2 compatibility mode enabled? Is there some vague pattern to it (whole albums etc.?)

I was using AAC, but I switched to MP3 just now because LAME downsamples the 96khz files.  Everything is syncing correctly and playing fine now, thanks for your patience and help trying to figure this out.  Not sure why I was even trying to use AAC in the first place.

(and in case it helps in any way, it did seem to be whole albums that were being re-loaded every time when I was using AAC)

Reply #2064
If you mean raw AAC (no container), then yes that wouldn't work (no tagging). If it was in an MP4 container it should work though.

Reply #2065
Anyway, due to the new protection mechanisms they have added, don't expect proper support for the 3.0 firmware anytime soon. (The only thing that I could add is read-only support).

If you were able to add read-only support, does that mean the new iTunesCDB file hasn't been written with a new hashing algorithm?

Reply #2066
The problem is the database would be rejected without a valid digital signature, this is different from encryption which is why ready-only support could be easily achieved.

Reply #2067
Ah, that makes sense. For some reason I thought the hash was required to decrypt the file. So is the file a combination of the header documented here and the the sqlite format? Sorry for all the questions, I've always had an interest in reverse engineering

Reply #2068
oh dear god, how I hate Apple.

musicmusic, where's this new digital signature thing located? Good thing is that they didn't change the hashing scheme on the iTunesDB file at least...

so far I made a few tests with my current code, and it seems that you can modify the iTunesDB file and SQLite databases and then see the changes in your iPod player. The problem is when you connect it to iTunes, where you will get a "the contents of your device cannot be read, please restore blah blah blah"

Reply #2069
so far I made a few tests with my current code, and it seems that you can modify the iTunesDB file and SQLite databases and then see the changes in your iPod player. The problem is when you connect it to iTunes, where you will get a "the contents of your device cannot be read, please restore blah blah blah"

Am I the only person who doesn't see that as a problem? iTunes is installed (for me) strictly for foo_dop dependency. Opening it kills a small part of me.

Does that mean we'll have write support for 3.0 soon?

Reply #2070
Am I the only person who doesn't see that as a problem? iTunes is installed (for me) strictly for foo_dop dependency. Opening it kills a small part of me.

same here

Reply #2071
oh dear god, how I hate Apple.

musicmusic, where's this new digital signature thing located? Good thing is that they didn't change the hashing scheme on the iTunesDB file at least...

I'm told it is Locations.itdb.cbk.... I don't have an iPhone/iPod touch for my own testing, but the name of the file suggests that it is dependent on the Locations.itdb database rather than the other ones, is that the one you changed?

Does that mean we'll have write support for 3.0 soon?
It's still a completely new database format, there is a lot of work involved in supporting that unfortunately..

Reply #2072
I'm told it is Locations.itdb.cbk.... I don't have an iPhone/iPod touch for my own testing, but the name of the file suggests that it is dependent on the Locations.itdb database rather than the other ones, is that the one you changed?

Nope, the file in question that I modified was Library.itdb which doesn't have any "cbk" related file.

I think the only reason why Apple added these new SQLite databases was to have a better-performing solution for the new search commands introduced in the new firmware (i.e. Spotlight and Search field at the top of the artists, albums and song list). But the actual DB continues to be the iTunesDB file.

Reply #2073
Nope, the file in question that I modified was Library.itdb which doesn't have any "cbk" related file.
If we need to modify that to add and remove paths... obviously we are a bit stuck..

But the actual DB continues to be the iTunesDB file.
The last backup I received doesn't even have an iTunesDB file.... It has an iTunesCDB file, the contents of which are a bit odd, maybe part encrypted, I don't know.

Reply #2074
The last backup I received doesn't even have an iTunesDB file.... It has an iTunesCDB file, the contents of which are a bit odd, maybe part encrypted, I don't know.

Where can I send mine? You'll see the iTunesDB file just like it always existed. Plus every SQLite databases in a separate folder. Let me know, and I'll also include my UDID if you need it.

Eric