Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Translating LAME presets to specific settings (Read 2992 times) previous topic - next topic

Translating LAME presets to specific settings

I'm trying to settle upon some specific LAME settings for encoding MP3s.  I'd like to tweak the underlying settings implied by the "-V 0 --vbr-new" preset, to find the ideal quality/size ratio for my setup.  I am listening from an MP3 player with a digital output, routed to an external DAC, then to a headphone amp, and out some good headphones, so I generally like very high-quality MP3 files.  I like the "-V 0 --vbr-new -" setting, but want to experiment with underlying settings (target bitrates, lowpass, highpass, et cetera) to settle on the right approach for me.  For example, I may want to increase the target bitrate for the preset from 224 to something higher.

My question then is: is there a series of specific command-line options for LAME that, taken together, are equivalent to "-V 0 --vbr-new -"?

Reply #1
Nope.  The topic has been adressed recently, with the space for an extra VBR preset on the scale, but LAME uses a decimal scale.  If you want better mp3s, use CBR 320 or switch codecs!

Reply #2
is there a series of specific command-line options for LAME that, taken together, are equivalent to "-V 0 --vbr-new -"?

The only equivalents to "-V 0 --vbr-new" are "--alt-preset extreme" and "--preset-extreme", AFAIK.

Don't bother with rising target bitrates. Someone here (mea culpa for not remembering his name) said something similar to this:
"Putting too high bitrates in your mp3s is like having an Audi 80 and sawing a hole under the gas pedal so you can press it harder - yes, it will get more fuel, but it won't go any faster."

If you're looking for an ideal size/quality ratio for your setup, rip some of your CDs that you know very well into -V 0, -V 1 and -V 2, and then try ABXing. The lowest bitrate you can't ABX (or can ABX very hardly) is the ideal for you.

If you happen to be able to ABX -V 0, switch to Ogg Vorbis or even lossless 

edit: typos
Only the best is good enough.

Reply #3
No, I think the OP is right.  He must be able to do this better than the dev's.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #4
--verbose

Reply #5
My question then is: is there a series of specific command-line options for LAME that, taken together, are equivalent to "-V 0 --vbr-new -"?

Yes. -V0 --vbr-new -.

In other words, no. Any other settings which this preset uses are standard defaults and changing them is not likely to help you achieve an improvement in quality.

Reply #6
Guys, guys... I think he got the point.

[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%']Or left the forum.[/span]
Only the best is good enough.