Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best way to upgrade a portable installation? (Read 3702 times) previous topic - next topic

Best way to upgrade a portable installation?

Hi.  I've been running 1.3.2, customized and configured in a portable installation for about 1.5 years.  I'd like to upgrade to the newest version of Foobar.

What is the easiest/best/sanest way to "upgrade" a portable installation and not lose all settings and plugins and have to redo everything from scratch?

thank you

Reply #1
1) Close/exit foobar2000
2) Zip the folder for temporary backup
3) Install the latest foobar2000 as portable OVER the same folder you are using, foobar2000 will automatically update/upgrade
4) Test
5) Delete or store the temporary zip backup for a month etc.

I suggest you wait for the 1.3.9 to be released, it's almost there.

Reply #2
i've upgraded the same portable install with every beta/release going for years and i've never had a problem. i always keep a backup of my config but that's because i'm more worried about hardware failure than anything going wrong during the upgrade.

Reply #3
Always updated to betas as well but common users want something stable, that doesn't expire and that doesn't show BETA on the titlebar

jaynyc, foobar2000 beta versions are perfect as well.

Reply #4
i must admit, i forgot about betas expiring. if my install of foobar ever expires the only possible reason could be that i've expired first.

Reply #5
thank you all - that was much easier than I thought it was going to be!