Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Guide to getting .MP4 on Windows Ipod (Read 4792 times) previous topic - next topic

Guide to getting .MP4 on Windows Ipod

I must advise against using my guide below.  It now appears that the mp4's from the .aac’s created using aacenc -profile 2 are not fully compatible with the iPod.  You must, at this time, use aacenc_mpeg4.  The simplest method is to use spoon's dbpoweramp mp4 plugin, which uses aacenc_mpeg4 and gives the same level of vbr customizability.  The beta version is available here.  I apologize to everyone who has used this guide.  I will attempt to rectify the situation by refocusing my efforts to create a configuration that will automatically rip CD’s from EAC into .MP4.  I promise to more fully test my claims before I post in the future.

This guide is a combination of my efforts as well as the efforts of others.  I will try to give credit where it is due.

Tools needed:
-Windows iPod firmware 1.3 installer (http://www.the-midfield.com/ipod.aspx) -thanks to richard123 for pointing this out
-Ivan & Menno (http://www.the-midfield.com/ipod.aspx)
-Psytel v2.15 AACenc (AACenc_mpeg4 is not necessary) (http://www.doom9.org/mp4.htm)
-MPEG4ip (get the version from Doom9, as I've had problems with the Rarewares version) (http://www.doom9.org/mp4.htm)
-Some type of Hex editor.  I used a freeware one from http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/free...xvi32/xvi32.htm.

Instructions:
1. First, run the iPod firmware 1.3 installer.  If you choose to format, be sure to delete the "ipod_control" directory if you are using Ephpod as stated on the Installer's download page.  Otherwise, you will receive an error when Ephpod tries to build the index for the first time.

2. Extract all of the other tools (excluding the hex editor) into the same directory.

3. Rip the album into .WAV files using whatever program you choose (Exact Audio Copy is my preference).

4. After ripping the album, run "Ivan & Menno.exe."  It should have both the MPEG4ip and Psytel v2.15 AACenc tools in the same directory as previously stated.

5. Add the .WAV files to the program by dragging and dropping them from explorer or using the "Add Files" button.

6. Set the following options:
    -Under "Encoder" select "aacenc" and use whatever audio option you would like.  I chose "-normal."  Important: Then, add " -profile 2" after the encoding option.  This will cause AACenc to create MPEG-4 AAC's as opposed to the standard MPEG-2 AAC's.
    -Select the "mp4" ratio button

7. Click the "Encode" button.  It will then encode all the .WAV files you've selected and convert them into MPEG-4.
::note:: If a DOS prompt opens and closes quickly, you will have to run the batch file manually.  Just double-click aacbatch.bat in the directory.

I will just quote Tarod, who did an excellent job explaining the rest of the process.  Be sure to note that there are sets of "00" between each of the characters in the filename you are searching for:
Yeah, of course.

Long time ago EphPod couldn't transfer .wav files to EphPod, people, tha's why I said .wav trick because it's the same trick

Lets say that we are going to transfer las album from one of our favourite artists with 11 songs:

1. Create 11 MP3 files tagged correctly, it never mind if they are really our 11 favourite artist songs. Just be sure that tagging correspond to it.
2. Go to EphPod and transfer those 11 MP3.
3. Check EphPod filenames, normally it looks like :ipod_control:Music:FXX:XXX.mp3 where "X" are numbers. Write down this because this are the files to overwrite. For example in my iPod this means H:\ipod_control\Music\FXX\XXXX.mp3 in yours letter "H" can be different just check out.
4. Copy MP4 -remember that iPod only plays ACC files inside a MP4 container- files into corresponding folder naming it as MP3. For example: if first song is :ipod_control_Music:F12:2001.mp3 copy firs album song in H:\ipod_control\Music\F1201.mp4 and delete 2001.mp3. And so on.
5. Open iTunesDB with a hexadecimal editor and look for  new added songs. Normally at the end. Strings are in Unicode so look for "00 32 00 30 00 30 00 31" in this  example and change ".mp3" for ".mp4" extension.

You are ready to go.

I hope this has been helpful to everyone.  As far as I see it, AAC/MP4 is not a practical solution for the Windows iPod yet due to the long process of renaming files, copying them to their appropriate directories, and hexediting the iTunesDB file, but it's fun to mess around with.  Be sure to reply with your results!
-CyberInferno

Reply #1
I hope this has been helpful to everyone.  As far as I see it, AAC/MP4 is not a practical solution for the Windows iPod yet due to the long process of renaming files, copying them to their appropriate directories, and hexediting the iTunesDB file, but it's fun to mess around with.  Be sure to reply with your results!

Just one thing that I didn't explain it's important that first MP3 files has at least same size and length time. If not you will end with a half played song.

Remark to that Spoon- is working in support for MP4 for dbPowerAmp and has almos ready a beta to iPod. And of course, Joe is working in same matter to use EphPod with your Windows iPod. So, it's a matter of time, be patient and get ready your MP4 collection.

Greets.
Since I was a kid I've seen greedy people
just grabbing all they could take,
I promised myself I'd never become like them.

Reply #2
Remark to that Spoon- is working in support for MP4 for dbPowerAmp and has almos ready a beta to iPod. And of course, Joe is working in same matter to use EphPod with your Windows iPod. So, it's a matter of time, be patient and get ready your MP4 collection.

Yeah, I saw Spoon's post and e-mailed him about it.  He said he'd e-mail me when a beta is ready.  I can't wait!

When do you think that Apple will officially release 1.3 for the Windows iPod?  I read in an article regarding their new MP3 selling service that they were planning to offer it to Windows users later, possibly through a Windows version of iTunes4.  If this were the case, releasing firmware 1.3 and supplying AAC/MP4 transfer ability would almost be a given.  Have you heard anything along these lines?
-CyberInferno

Reply #3
I'm trying to create AAC/MP4 files that will be compatible with the iPod and (hopefully) other future hardware.  Even though I don't have the hardware yet I thought I'd try your instructions.  I'm up to step 7.  When I click encode the dos window opens and closes in the blink of an eye.  It must be some kind of error but it's gone too fast to read.  Can you help me?

Note:  I downloded mp4tools.zip (the link on the Doom9 page is called "MPEG4IP tools") because it was the closest name to

-MPEG4ip (get the version from Doom9, as I've had problems with the Rarewares version)

Was that the file you were talking about?

PS:  I read this note in the Ivan & Menno readme file:
- Note that all that Ivan & Menno does is create and execute a batch file. This is done on the moment you press the "Encode" (or "Decode") button. So after that you can safely exit Ivan & Menno.

So I double clicked on the aacbatch.bat file that Ivan & Menno created and the whole process started.  WILD!  I guess that solves the problem though I'd still like to know why it didn't work direct from the GUI.

Reply #4
I've had different results with it.  Right now, it's automatically encoding for me.  Other times, it's required me to double-click the .bat file.  The official readme says, "Note that all that Ivan & Menno does is create and execute a batch file. This is done on the moment you press the "Encode" (or "Decode") button. So after that you can safely exit Ivan & Menno."  I'll add that little note to my instructions.  Did everything work alright, though?
-CyberInferno

Reply #5
Yes.  It worked fine once I double clicked the batch file.  As I said I don't have a portable that supports AAC yet so I just added Case's AAC/MP4 plugin for foobar and listened.  Sounds great.  I'm hoping that when I DO get a portable AAC player (iPod or not) that these files will be compatible.

Now I'm going to try my first ever ABX test to see if I can discern the difference between normal and extreme.

Reply #6
One more thing... If I'd rather have EAC call aacenc can I just use "-preset -profile 2" in the command line and then use Ivan & Menno to convert the resulting AAC into MP4?

Reply #7
One more thing... If I'd rather have EAC call aacenc can I just use "-preset -profile 2" in the command line and then use Ivan & Menno to convert the resulting AAC into MP4?

You were close, but not quite.  You use "-preset -profile 2 -if %s" (no quotation marks).  You will still have to convert it to .MP4, of course.
-CyberInferno

Reply #8
Thanks!  Just out of curiosity, what does "-if" do?

Reply #9
Thanks!  Just out of curiosity, what does "-if" do?

Input File

There's also -of, for Output File, but that's not required.