Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_alarm (Read 75765 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_alarm

Reply #25
Thanks Andrew, it works very well!

I will bother you with a last thing (after that, it will be perfect IMHO ):
once the fade-in is started, if one change the volume (or mute it), then this action is canceled and the fade-in process goes on its way. Could it be avoided, in order to "take control" of the volume quickly ? (it's not a big deal though: pause then un-pause does the trick). Anyway: already a good job!

foo_alarm

Reply #26
Wonderful, i very liked the new features.

Maybe is possible to add a button or/and symbol that u can click to apply alarm or to identify is alarm are in progress.

foo_alarm

Reply #27
Maybe this is a lame question, but anyway :-)
I understand, that foobar should be running during the timeframe the alarm is set to start. What if at that time my notebook is in sleep (or power off) mode and/or foobar is not running? Is there a way to tell the computer - either through this plugin, or otherwise - that it shall wake up a minute before the scheduled time and start foobar?

foo_alarm

Reply #28
well, some mainboards have a wakeup function. You can set it up in the BIOS. Best is you search for it in your mainboard manual. I have seen this future in the manual of an ASUS mainboard but not all BIOS have this feature
And when your computer has started you can set up the time with the windows task scheduler when you want foobar to start

foo_alarm

Reply #29
So essentially it would be a three step approach:
1. set BIOS wake up
2a. set windows scheduler to start foobar
2b. Tell foobar to open a certain playlist
3. set foo_alarm

It would be great if steps 2a, 2b could be done by foo_alarm, and hence save a step. I made a little experiment, and it seems a scheduled JOB in Windows XP is able to get the machine out of the standby/sleep mode, which would be an ideal solution, because in that case there does not have to be a BIOS option for power on.

But essentially, implementing option 2b, i.e. telling foo_alarm which playlist to play would also be satisfactory! That way we could have a playlist for sleep, and a playlist for wake/up. And having the basic features, maybe it could be expanded to allow for multiple alarms based on weekdays...

Matyas

foo_alarm

Reply #30
Matyas:
a scheduled task could be able to launch foobar and make it play, with a command line such as:
foobar2000.exe /play
(I dont remember if such command lines need a plug-in to work, though)
(and you won't get the fade-in effect)

Or, you can set a Foobar2000 link in your startup folder - no need then to use the task manager.

foo_alarm

Reply #31
Your workaround is just not the right way of doing it. The alarm is a great plugin, and I don't see reasons why not to improve it further. I have already tried the following command line:
foobar2000.exe /activate-playlist:MorningList /play

but the problem is, the playlist is just activated, but the next song in the queue is still from the old one, so this is not a solution. Therefore it would begreat if the alarm plugin would allow to select the playlist to start playing, and additionaly, yeah, it would be great if it could handle the task scheduling.

I am WILLING to help coding this - if help is needed!

foo_alarm

Reply #32
...it seems a scheduled JOB in Windows XP is able to get the machine out of the standby/sleep mode, which would be an ideal solution, because in that case there does not have to be a BIOS option for power on.

Well, seems to me that it's impossible to get the computer out of the SLEEP mode by using windows scheduler. In sleep mode memory is unpowered. In STANDBY mode memory is powered so this is the only mode in which application is able to wake up the computer. But this mode is useless for long periods cause a lot of electrical schemes is working on the motherboard. And I don't like when there is working electronic device near me when I'm sleeping.

Therefore it would begreat if the alarm plugin would allow to select the playlist to start playing

I'll add this.

foo_alarm

Reply #33
Yet another request:
could you add a "Run only once" button ?
It would allow the choice between an "daily" alarm or a "one time" alarm (since one could easily forget to manually disable it after it ran...). Thanks !

foo_alarm

Reply #34
@could you add a "Run only once" button:

...and make it possible to use a toggle button on the toolbar for this.
Like, for example:
1. Add a checkbox in the settings for "Run only once".
2. Add a toolbar button doing the same as the main enable/disable checkbox on the options page.

And the idea would be the following:
If "Only once" is enabled, it would turn the plugin automatically off after the first run. This would effectively change the state of the toolbar button as well, hence the next time I wanted to set it to alarm only once, the only thing I had to do was click the toolbar button. It would wake me up the next day, + disable itself afterwards, and so on.

foo_alarm

Reply #35
foo_alarm doesn't seem to work if fb2k has been paused, only if its stopped.  If it is paused, it won't start playing at the time you specify. 

foo_alarm

Reply #36
Version 1.55 fixes this issue + adds alarm playlist.

foo_alarm

Reply #37
@1.55: Yeeeehaaaaaoo
Thanks!

foo_alarm

Reply #38
Thanks.

Would it be possible to implement fade out and stop after specified time?

I use that with 0.8, set to pause after 30 min and then resume on the morning.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

foo_alarm

Reply #39
Thanks.
Would it be possible to implement fade out and stop after specified time?
I use that with 0.8, set to pause after 30 min and then resume on the morning.

You wanna say it's time for foo_alarm 2.0 (codename foo_scheduler  )? I hope I'll find time to start and maintain the development of this plugin...

foo_alarm

Reply #40
WOW! Thanks on beforehand!

As for me the main disadvantage of foo_alarm is inability of creation many alarm events at different times. Also I can't specify what song in alarm playlist should be played..

foo_alarm

Reply #41
You wanna say it's time for foo_alarm 2.0 (codename foo_scheduler  )? I hope I'll find time to start and maintain the development of this plugin...

That would be awesome! Many users would appreciate that.

foo_alarm

Reply #42
1.6 is out. Now foo_alarm can wake up your computer from stand-by/hibernate mode. Use "Start playback beеtween ..." option, cause if you use "Start playback at %time%" your computer will wake up at this time and when it completes fast boot it will be %time%+fast_boot_time, so playback won't be started. Hope you've understood

P.S.
I've found myself mistaken in understanding how stand-by/hibernate modes work  I thought it's impossible to wake up computer from hibernate (sleep) mode but it's not true!

foo_alarm

Reply #43
@andrew:
Great job! I knew you could do it :-)

Edit: It seems that Fade-in does not work properly when using the wake-up.
Edit2: and though the playlist is changed, the played song remains from the old queue (playlist)
Edit3 - Request: and option to set the master volume (Windows volume) to a predefined level. This isimportant, because if I hibernate the notebook with a very low volume level (probably because I was using my headphones), I might not hear the alarm the next morning. Of course if I leave the headphones plugged in - then yeah, bad luck...

foo_alarm

Reply #44
Edit: It seems that Fade-in does not work properly when using the wake-up.

Strange, I've test several times and everything worked...
Edit2: and though the playlist is changed, the played song remains from the old queue (playlist)

Fixed in 1.61
Edit3 - Request: and option to set the master volume (Windows volume) to a predefined level.

Well, currently I'm working on foo_scheduler, so possibly 1.61 is the last version of foo_alarm. I've decided to release 1.6 version because of the discovery wakeup from hibernate. All requests will be taken into consideration in foo_scheduler.

foo_alarm

Reply #45
possibly 1.61 is the last version of foo_alarm... All requests will be taken into consideration in foo_scheduler.

I nevertheless allow myself to ask a last feature: a "run once" option.

I prefer foo_alarm for its simplicity. IIRC, in order to make the same action as foo_alarm (play + fade-in), you must set multiple events and tweak the time for each one. So if you want to change your alarm time, you must change the time of several events (or I did not understant the plug-in...)
Or... a solution would be to have the possibility with foo_scheduler to be able change the time for multiple actions.

foo_alarm

Reply #46

possibly 1.61 is the last version of foo_alarm... All requests will be taken into consideration in foo_scheduler.

I nevertheless allow myself to ask a last feature: a "run once" option.

I prefer foo_alarm for its simplicity. IIRC, in order to make the same action as foo_alarm (play + fade-in), you must set multiple events and tweak the time for each one. So if you want to change your alarm time, you must change the time of several events (or I did not understant the plug-in...)
Or... a solution would be to have the possibility with foo_scheduler to be able change the time for multiple actions.

Yuo will not need multiple events. In my foo_scheduler there is an action list which is assigned to certain event. Ok, there is the teaser  of the configuration tree:

• On monday, tuesday at 8:00 (wake up from stand-by/hibernate)
      |    * Raise signal "Wake me up!!!"
  • On wed, thu, fri at 7:00 (wake up from stand-by/hibernate)
      |    * Raise signal "Wake me up!!!"
  • Daily at 23:00
      |    * Fade out to -20.00 dB
  • On signal "Wake me up!!!"
          * Set volume to -50.00 dB
          * Set playing playlist "Wakeup"
          * Start playback
          * Start fade in till 0.00 dB during 120 secs

foo_alarm

Reply #47
I'm so glad to here that you're working on foo_scheduler . I can't wait to see and test it .

Keep on good work

thanks

foo_alarm

Reply #48
That looks very slick!
Even better than the original scheduler =)

I also have the fade in problem, it works sometimes, but most when it's a long time before it starts, like a night. It worked in 0.9.3, but not in 0.9.4 beta 3. What I remember.

Thank you again.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

foo_alarm

Reply #49
up up up with more hope . Is there any development for us to test out ?