Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Just a suggestion for test (Read 3728 times) previous topic - next topic

Just a suggestion for test

Hello,

just in case somebody is interested: here are some 24/96 and 16/44.1 sound files from drum recordings. On my small equipment I probably do not get audible difference, but can possibly someone with excellent equipment do a ABX test of those files on order to possibly get the difference between those two formats ?

http://www.lessloss.com/drums-drums-drums-p-203.html

or if drums are not suitable here are some symphonic works.

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Regards,

Jan

Re: Just a suggestion for test

Reply #1
If you want to compare sample rates, take the highest rate, down sample it, and then upsample it back to the original rate. Compare to the source file.

Do not compare files with different rates. Do a search, the challenge of comparing sampling rates has been discussed many, many times.

Reply #2
Like the one where a guy refused to upsample the downsampled test subject because he simply wasn't interested in whether his DAC played different sample rates differently?

Reply #3
Ok, if what I suggested is not good way to go the I am sorry. Btw the link to drums recording is not working now (yesterday evening it was), so if you want to look here you can try later or I can correct/delete the post if the link will be dead further.

Edit: As of 9:15 link works.

Reply #4
I don't think anyone wants those files anyway. Probably if they were going to do this test they'd pick special samples where they suspected sampling rate might matter.

Reply #5
Hello,

just in case somebody is interested: here are some 24/96 and 16/44.1 sound files from drum recordings. On my small equipment I probably do not get audible difference, but can possibly someone with excellent equipment do a ABX test of those files on order to possibly get the difference between those two formats ?
Are you trying to help us lost souls for a way out?

btw. Some comedy about how HiBit rumours are confirmed.
For a while, behind the scenes over secret PMs there were bullet proof samples spread to the selected and enlightened how good HiBit is.
These samples were found by someone who even can hear accurately equal rips sounding different if only a linear power supply is used while ripping.

One day a non believer got the chance to analyse the files and they only are different 3dB in loudness, pitch, and EQ :)
Another milestone
You may join there and have much more fun as over here.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #6
Not good discussion here ...  :-\

Reply #7

I think perhaps you don't realize, this is not new ground here.

Do a search, I suspect you'll find a thread or two about the same topic, with test results.

Reply #9

I'm not sure what discussion you expect to have if you are unwilling to develop even a basic understanding before starting a thread like this. This is a technical forum for engineers and professionals, hapless stuff like this is not appropriate.

When I pointed out that people are not interested in your opinions because you are clueless, my goal was not to discourage you from learning about audio, it was to suggest to you that you should probably learn a little bit about audio before trying to explain it to people thousands of times more knowledgeable then yourself.  Hopefully this time I wasn't too subtle.

Reply #10

One day a non believer got the chance to analyse the files and they only are different 3dB in loudness, pitch, and EQ :)
Another milestone
You may join there and have much more fun as over here.

It took me a minute or two to glean the context, but when I did it was comedy gold.  Here's the tl;dr version:

Angry 'audiophile' sandyk brags that the difference between Redbook and 96/24 is obvious to him; offers two files that demonstrate the difference; files turn out to have ~3dB average level difference, as well as different EQ.  Audiophile then claims that the difference HE hears isn't due to any of that.

You can't make this stuff up; they just wanna believe so badly.

Reply #11

I'm not sure what discussion you expect to have if you are unwilling to develop even a basic understanding before starting a thread like this. This is a technical forum for engineers and professionals, hapless stuff like this is not appropriate.

When I pointed out that people are not interested in your opinions because you are clueless, my goal was not to discourage you from learning about audio, it was to suggest to you that you should probably learn a little bit about audio before trying to explain it to people thousands of times more knowledgeable then yourself.  Hopefully this time I wasn't too subtle.

OK, I has been just a common power user trying to make my digital audio reality better. Sorry for disturbing the Gods :(

Reply #12
Instead of feeling hurt, your energy would be better spent searching to see if you're actually contributing anything new to the community.

While you might think you're doing us a favor by sharing your insight, the real favor would be to read the forum more and post far far less.

Reply #13
Even if my member name suggests otherwise i am human and neither god nor engineer.
No idea if others take me serious but i have my fun here and you can also.
Hydrogenaudio had many discussions before and mostly with very good facts, reasoning and experiments. Read more in here, post less. I bet you'll like it one day.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!