Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABXing different files from the same souce (Read 3019 times) previous topic - next topic

ABXing different files from the same souce

I recently bought a copy of the extended version of Jethro Tull's 'A Passion Play' (used) and it came with 2 CDs and 2 DVDs.

The first DVD contains 3 different mixes of the albums: AC3 surround sound, DTS surround sound, and 96/24 LPCM Stereo.  The packaging claims that the 44.1/16 CD and the 96/24 tracks are from the same remixed/remastered source.

I'd like to try to ABX the two of them (the CD and the DVD) to see if I can hear any differences.

Unless someone can explain otherwise, I am going to assume that this is not a valid test of "hi-res" music vs CD quality, since I cannot be 100% sure the files are from the same source and were mastered and transferred the same way.

But this is more a curiosity for me than anything else.

Of course the other problem I face is extracting the LPCM audio into a FLAC file.  I've tried a couple of different ripping tools, and the end result always produces an AC3 file even when I tell it to passthrough the audio. If I remember correctly AC3 is lossy compressed.  Since I am trying to minimize the number of variables in this little endeavor,  I would prefer not to have lossy compression applied to the resulting file from the DVD extraction.

Can someone recommend a way to extract these files, so I get a 96/24 FLAC from the DVD?

Reply #1
All replies to this topic must comply with our Terms of Service, specifically #9:

9. All members must refrain from posting links to -- or information regarding how to obtain -- copyrighted or illegal material. Discussion containing information of how to obtain such material, how to bypass protection methodologies of such material, or how to otherwise violate laws pertaining to such matters will not be tolerated, and participating members may be subject to administrative action.

So that we're clear, "administrative action" is to be interpreted as a loss of posting privileges.

Reply #2
All replies to this topic must comply with our Terms of Service, specifically #9:

9. All members must refrain from posting links to -- or information regarding how to obtain -- copyrighted or illegal material. Discussion containing information of how to obtain such material, how to bypass protection methodologies of such material, or how to otherwise violate laws pertaining to such matters will not be tolerated, and participating members may be subject to administrative action.

So that we're clear, "administrative action" is to be interpreted as a loss of posting privileges.

To be clear, I need NO information about bypass, and don't expect any.  I want simply want to know how to take an existing DECRYPTED VIDEO_TS folder and get FLACs out of it.  Hope that helps clear a little bit up.

Reply #4
It sounds like you want to use eac3to. It can extract audio from VOB files and even convert LPCM to FLAC. I'm not sure if it's capable of parsing a whole DVD's structure; if not, you'll have to give it a list of the appropriate VOB files and it will automatically combine the audio from all of them. (It is capable of parsing whole-disc structures for Blu-ray and HD-DVD.)

Of course, it can't bypass any copy protection.

Reply #5
I'm guessing if you search the web for certain terms, you will find another site with forums & software to help you in your quest to de-multiplex (demux) audio & video streams from VOB files. Maybe it will even be at the top of the search results.

Reply #6
The last time I ripped some audio tracks off a video DVD, I believe I just used a very common free media player to do so. It was a bit fiddly due to being a completely manual process, but I managed to get the tracks extracted as lossless 16/48 PCM.

Would it be a violation of TOS #9 to mention this very popular and widely used media player, that exists for multiple platforms, since I guess it technically breaks DVD copy protection?

(It's not illegal where I live, but I know it is technically breaking the law to use it for DVD playback in the US, and some other countries)

Reply #7
Ok, it seems even mentioning the tools I need is going to lead to someone getting in trouble, since the tools I need appear to also contain copyright circumvention code.

Can we get this thread locked and move on with our lives.

Reply #8
Is it only me who wonders why I cannot as per the wording of TOS#9 tell anyone where they can buy a CD?

Reply #9
CiTay edited TOS9 some six minutes ago:
9. All members must refrain from posting links to -- or information regarding how to obtain -- material that is copyrighted and being distributed without authorization or is otherwise illegal. Discussion containing information of how to obtain such material, how to bypass protection methodologies of such material, or how to otherwise violate laws pertaining to such matters will not be tolerated.