Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: aacplus encoder for linux (Read 8816 times) previous topic - next topic

aacplus encoder for linux

I'd like to stream from my mpc collection on my home server to wherever I am - usually at work. Low bitrate is a huge priority, so aacplus is ideal.

Is there an aacplus encoder for linux? If so then does it interface with shoutcast or something similar? And does it cost money (I don't mind, as long as it isn't professional pricing)

Thanks for any help.

sean

Reply #1
I'd like to stream from my mpc collection on my home server to wherever I am - usually at work. Low bitrate is a huge priority, so aacplus is ideal.

Is there an aacplus encoder for linux? If so then does it interface with shoutcast or something similar? And does it cost money (I don't mind, as long as it isn't professional pricing)

Thanks for any help.

sean
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can create AAC+ or EAAC+ compliant streams in AAC or MP4 container by using the Enhanced aacPlus general audio codec for Linux. You have it in two flavors:
1 Fixed-point ANSI-C code [a href="http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/26_series/26.411/26411-610.zip]HERE[/url].
2 Floating-point ANSI-C code HERE.

You just need to use the included makefile and that is all.

Regards,
Oki

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply, i'll have a look as I haven't seen this encoder before. Does it really do the low bitrate AAC+PS etc?

Reply #3
Well, I don't know about AACplus and sorry for not offering a real answer to your question, but I would use vorbis for something like this. At low bitrates it's just a matter of what kind of artifacts you prefer and I would choose vorbis's artifacts over AACplus any time. That is just a personal taste though, your case could be different...

Reply #4
Thanks for the reply, i'll have a look as I haven't seen this encoder before. Does it really do the low bitrate AAC+PS etc?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=319914"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been working with this encoder and it has no problems at all. The diference from HE-AAC to PS AAC is awesome. At 32kbps PS AAC is the best, the quality at this speed is about the same as MP3 @ 96Kbps. The quality @ 24Kbps is still OK for broadcasting.

I am now doing some research in the other awesome codec at low bit rates, the AMR-WB+, but its deployment is still in very a early stage (the development finished a year ago). It comes from the speech codecs family but was improved a lot for streaming music.

Reply #5
real offers an he-aac encoder for free on their helixcommunity site, which is afaik also available on linux
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)