Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tagging old flacs with new flac version (Read 3849 times) previous topic - next topic

Tagging old flacs with new flac version

In my setup, I use flac 1.1.0 but have many early flac encodings on my harddrive. Are there any problems to use the new flac for tagging old flacs?
I guess the question should be breaken down to two sub-questions regarding:
1. tagging flac 1.0.4
2. tagging pre flac 1.0.4

Reply #1
I belive all sub versions ie 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.0.3, et cetera are all meant to be compatible.
Sadly i discovered a bug with the cuesheets in a 1.05  beta that broke backkward compatability with 1.0.4 and below, hence the new verson update to 1.1.0. This may not have been the only reason for the version update though.

Due to this 1.1.0 files will not always decode with earlier decoder versions, but, i do belive that if you use metaflac from 1.1.0 on earlier versions then they will tag fine, you just won't be able to use them with the older decoders!

If this is not a problem then go ahead.

Of course i may be entirley wrong, you might wanna wait for Josh's input to be certain. I don't wanna be responsible for borking your collection!! 

Cheers,

Kristian

Reply #2
I'm not totally certain about this, but I believe the incompatibility only exists when you try to decode a 1.1-encoded flac with an embedded cuesheet with a pre-1.1 version of flac.  I'm guessing everything will be fine if you don't do anything with embedded cuesheets.  You might want to try a few test files first to make sure there aren't any problems.

Reply #3
I'm not totally certain about this, but I believe the incompatibility only exists when you try to decode a 1.1-encoded flac with an embedded cuesheet with a pre-1.1 version of flac.  I'm guessing everything will be fine if you don't do anything with embedded cuesheets.

This is correct.

Josh

Reply #4
Thanks everyone. In my tests, there have been no obvious problems. But compatibility is such a big issue and it's easy to break it somewhere without knowing or noticing it immediately. I guess time will tell - now most of the files are tagged.

phew.

Reply #5
Thanks everyone. In my tests, there have been no obvious problems. But compatibility is such a big issue and it's easy to break it somewhere without knowing or noticing it immediately. I guess time will tell - now most of the files are tagged.

phew.