Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: extracting music from a dvd (Read 6343 times) previous topic - next topic

extracting music from a dvd

I have a dvd. It has a LPCM track, which from what I googled is an uncompressed format (that's why the music quality was so good!)

anyways, there are mixes of songs on the dvd that I can't get on cd, and so I want to extract it. I'm also hoping that the LPCM is already broken into tracks so I don't have to do it manually in audacity... how can I access the LPCM layer for lossless compression and tagging?

Reply #1
Use DGIndex to demux the audio track. Make sure that all audio processing like normalization or downsampling to 44.1 KHz is turned OFF.

For more details, visit Doom9 and read the tutorials.

Reply #2
I have previously done this with DGIndex, but I think the more direct approach is to use DVDDecrypter.  There's a good explanation here.

You could take a look at my thread here, which discusses ripping the audio as one file with cuesheet, which may help a little also.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #3
I have previously done this with DGIndex, but I think the more direct approach is to use DVDDecrypter.  There's a good explanation here.

You could take a look at my thread here, which discusses ripping the audio as one file with cuesheet, which may help a little also.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=377343"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree. DVDDecrypter is easier and better. Why didn't I think of that? Too much coffee too late at night. 

Reply #4
one quick question. The LPCM file is 48 hz, while redbook cd is 44hz. My intent is to convert this to ape and then transcode to mp3. would there be a loss in fidelity in downmixing it to 44hz? Do I even have to?

Reply #5
You must resample to 44.1kHz for audio CD. If you use good software, the resampling will be transparent. Resampling is rather involved, however. Not all approaches are equal.

Reply #6
I don't plan on burning it to cd... but rather to ape. I think ape can handle 48 hz... but what's some good resampling software? I tried chap2cue but it requires 44hz...

Reply #7
I don't plan on burning it to cd... but rather to ape. I think ape can handle 48 hz... but what's some good resampling software?
if the Monkey can handle 48KHz there is no need to resample at all.

anyway, a high quality resampler (GUI version) is available here:
http://www.rarewares.org/files/others/srcdropV0.5.zip
A high quality sampling rate converter by john33 using SRC libsamplerate V0.1.2 from Erik de Castro Lopo.

for other option see here:
http://www.rarewares.org/others.html
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #8
Unless you're gonna burn to CDDA, there's no point downsampling it. Better to keep it as 48KHz. And yes, Monkey's Audio can support 48KHz.

Reply #9
well, I ended up cutting it up in audacity

it took a while, but then I don't rip many LPCM tracks so that's okay.

Oddly enough, the APE files sounded a little different from the DVD... there wasn't as much volume. Maybe because of all the processing that it went through? Also, how does LAME handle 48 hz?