Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 to create interim memory at harddisk, or increase buffer a lot? (Read 1506 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 to create interim memory at harddisk, or increase buffer a lot?

Hi,
Excuse me for not beeing an expert in this.

I'm using the Foobar2000 to play audio files from an external Harddrive, and a USB/SPDIF converter to feed my DAC, using a Dell notebook. So I have two USB connections: one for the harddrive and another to sent to the USB/SPDIF converter. That will imply the USB controler to work with two simultanesly, which probably could be a bit problematic striving for maximum audio sound quality. I can't play from files from the harddrive in the notebook, as my library is too large - therefore the external HD. So I thought it would be worth trying to have the files from the external harddrive drawn in to an interim memory at the harddrive in the notebook, and then let the Foobar2000 pick them up there and feed the USB signal to my USB/SPDIF-converter automatically. Hope you understand? Principally, if I could increase the buffer in Foobar2000 much beyound the 30 seconds, it would probably do nearly the same, but 30 sec. is the maximum at present.

Is there a software that can do that? Or are somebody interested in developing such?

Any ideas or interest in this? Thanks.
Steen5

Re: Foobar2000 to create interim memory at harddisk, or increase buffer a lot?

Reply #1
foobar2000 already has a buffer the whole file option (in advanced options under Playback.)  But I didn't find it to make a significant difference in sound quality compared to reading my library off of external USB discs.  This is probably DAC or USB->S/PDIF converter specific.  Note that most computers have pretty bad wiring harness connections from the motherboard to the USB connectors, you may find that simply changing which USB connectors you use will have a bigger effect that where your library is or that using better twisted pair wiring between the MB and the connectors to be useful.  Also at times I use either one or both of a Corning 3.Optical USB cable and a simple externally powered HUB just before my DAC to help isolate it from the USB bus's power.

Re: Foobar2000 to create interim memory at harddisk, or increase buffer a lot?

Reply #2
Thanks Tedsmith. I changed settings according to your suggestions, and changed buffer to 1000000 kb (1 GB) which will cover every file I have in my library. It works as I see the complete file loaded in to my notebook from external Hard Drive everytime a new track is comming up, and no transfer during playbach while the track is playing, so, in this case, no USB logistics is involved apart from transfer from my notebook to DAC.

I haven't yet had the time for carefull listening.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas.