Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Personal Listening Test of 2 Opus encoders (Read 53630 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Personal Listening Test of 2 Opus encoders

Reply #75
BTW, is this build E slower than the other builds?
build E is about 40x realtime on the standard settings, while other builds reach nearly 50x .
Hmm, that's strange, but maybe I just used slightly different optimizations in the build. In any case, it seems like the differences between all these builds is very small and potentially "in the noise". I'll see if I can extract useful information from your data that would allow me to at least use the best settings for each of the files.

Reply #76
jmvalin, is there any builds I can omit testing?
I would like to deliver the results quickly.

Reply #77
jmvalin, is there any builds I can omit testing?
I would like to deliver the results quickly.
I think you can skip D.

Reply #78
I am testing build A, build C, build E and now it's 63%(17/27) done.

Reply #79
I should probably mention I'm writing an Opus encoder from scratch for FFmpeg. The base encoder already got merged in git master 2 months ago, though I'm still working on a psychoacoustic system. If anyone's interested in taking a look I've sent a patch to the mailing list. This currently only implements transient detection (untweaked), dual stereo (kinda pointless) and intensity stereo (slow) searches, so it still has ways to go to sound better. At least it sounds halfway decent because you can't really write a bad Opus encoder. The psychoacoustic system will probably replace the current filter-based system used by AAC once its good enough (not really difficult considering it isn't very good).
I'll keep this thread updated if I make any significant progress that might warrant a careful listen, since I'm not really good at that.

Reply #80
I should probably mention I'm writing an Opus encoder from scratch for FFmpeg. The base encoder already got merged in git master 2 months ago, though I'm still working on a psychoacoustic system. If anyone's interested in taking a look I've sent a patch to the mailing list. This currently only implements transient detection (untweaked), dual stereo (kinda pointless) and intensity stereo (slow) searches, so it still has ways to go to sound better. At least it sounds halfway decent because you can't really write a bad Opus encoder. The psychoacoustic system will probably replace the current filter-based system used by AAC once its good enough (not really difficult considering it isn't very good).
I'll keep this thread updated if I make any significant progress that might warrant a careful listen, since I'm not really good at that.
Hi atomnuker,
I'm interested in testing out your new patch, but don't have the technical expertise to apply it to FFmpeg myself. I've already tested your base encoder, but that's only because it comes integrated with the official Windows build. Would you recommend just waiting until the new changes get merged into the git master? Thanks and best of luck with the improvements.

As for the main 'libopus' encoder - I have been converting podcasts and similar content to VBR 18kbps, and the results are remarkably clear - even musical interludes sound listenable. It actually sounds better than many of the FM radio stations here in the UK! I'm using the latest experimental build (1.2-alpha2-31-g8e19536b) - very impressive. A huge improvement on whatever version of Opus is bundled with "Switch Audio File Converter v5.19".

Reply #81
I finished the test of the analysis24k, buildC, buildE.
The buildC seems to be marginally better.
I am going to post the details later.

Reply #82
Thank You, Kamedo2. :)

Great to see that BuildC has some potential.

I think BuildC is a start point on what can be done with Opus'es bitrate distribution amongst different frequency bands.
Sorry, couldn't do tests.