Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tagging mkv files? (Read 24374 times) previous topic - next topic

Tagging mkv files?

I have been reading that it is possible to tak mkv file, How do you do it?

Tagging mkv files?

Reply #1
3 ways :

1. mkvmerge : There are a couple of command line switches that allow you to set the basic tags already, but unfortunately this is not a very convenient way to do it, and also you have to re-mux your movie for that. Most tags of the matroska tagging system are not supported in mkvmerge yet, so its clearly not the way to go now. Maybe once the new GUI for mkvmerge, called mmg, will allow to enter the tags in predefined fields.

2. VirtualdubMod : Cyrius made an incredible job to add support for most of the very necessary tags. Just goto 'streams' 'video comments' and you can enter most of the very necessary tags already. Quite convenient already, but if you have to use MKVmerge to mux your movie ( if you use AAC audio ) it requires you to remux your video just to add the tags.

3. matroska shell extension / TCMP RC4 CDL : made by the same author, Jory 'jcsston' Stone, these tools are what you need and want. Both tools allow you to set/read/write any tag in your MKV files, and without big hassle. The shell extension as linked in the last project update announcement, very unfortunately, seems to have installer problems, a first patched version can be found here, please test it and tell me if it works for you. To use it, open Windows explorer, right click on your matroska file and goto properties.

There were no problems reported with the TCMP RC4 CDL, so if the shell extension doesnt work for you because of installer problems, this is the way to go. TCMP is currently also the only player that will allow you to show all the tags. If you are brave, you might want to test the latest alpha CDL, which will allow you tmovie ( if you use AAC audio ) it requires you to remux your video just to add the tags.

3. matroska shell extension / TCMP RC4 CDL : made by the same author, Jory 'jcsston' Stone, these tools are what you need and want. Both tools allow you to set/read/write any tag in your MKV files, and without big hassle. The shell extension as linked in the last project update announcement, very unfortunately, seems to have installer problems, a first patched version can be found here, please test it and tell me if it works for you. To use it, open Windows explorer, right click on your matroska file and goto properties.

There were no problems reported with the TCMP RC4 CDL, so if the shell extension doesnt work for you because of installer problems, this is the way to go. TCMP is currently also the only player that will allow you to show all the tags. If you are brave, you might want to test the latest alpha CDL, which will allow you to write tags from the TCMP media library into your MKV files, simply edit the field in the library, make a right click and tick 'rewrite tag'  ....

Tagging mkv files?

Reply #2
[deleted]

Tagging mkv files?

Reply #3
@ ChristianHJW:

The matroska shell extension / TCMP RC4 CDL worked perfectly.  Thanks

@ TrNSZ:

[cough] Maybe a "container forum" would be nice in hydrogenaudio! [/cough]

Tagging mkv files?

Reply #4
You need to be collecting all this information and keeping an update meta-FAQ or something - all your matroska postings are very informative.

We will soon start to update the 'Guides' section on matroska.org , hopefully, its only a time problem ....

Tagging mkv files?

Reply #5
@ ChristianHJW:

The matroska shell extension / TCMP RC4 CDL worked perfectly.  Thanks

@ TrNSZ:

[cough] Maybe a "container forum" would be nice in hydrogenaudio! [/cough]

Please allow me to point out that

- JEN is not a matroska team member, nor was she/he sent by anybody from the team to ask those ( valid ) questions here . She/he is obviously a user of matroska ( makes me happy  ) and making suggestions and comments ....

- I love the idea of having a combined container / metadata / tags forum here, as suggested in another thread here already. Any admin reading here ? Is this something worthwhile considering ?

Regards

Christian

Tagging mkv files?

Reply #6
- JEN is not a matroska team member, nor was she sent by anybody from the team to ask those ( valid ) questions here . She is obviously a user of matroska ( makes me happy  ) and making suggestions and comments ....

@ anyone who is reading this thread - Check out this link.  I am not a team member 

Yes I am a user of the matroska container.  I think I have tried out all the main containers, including avi, ogm, mp4, mkv.  mkv is my fav right now

@ ChristianHJW - Any chance of becoming a member, maybe a matroska tester/guide writer/ui developer/ 

Tagging mkv files?

Reply #7
@ ChristianHJW - Any chance of becoming a member, maybe a matroska tester/guide writer/ui developer/ 

Sure ! We'd be glad ... and you would even be the 3rd female team member besides Liisachan from Japan, our nr. #1 alpha tester an sample creator ( check http://matroska.free.fr/samples/mewmew ) and Marlena, who was doing our logo  !

Just send me a short email to chris at matroska.org and join us on irc.corecodec.com #matroska if you find the time ....

Christian