Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Build O2 Amp with XLR Output? (Read 2872 times) previous topic - next topic

Build O2 Amp with XLR Output?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering with DIY amps like the O2 if it's theoretically possible to use a 3 pin XLR jack instead of 3.5mm or 1/4 inch? I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I haven't really been able to find an answer. If it isn't possible, what is the difference between 3 pin XLR and 1/4 inch that makes this impossible?

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated 

Reply #1
Hi everyone!

I was wondering with DIY amps like the O2 if it's theoretically possible to use a 3 pin XLR jack instead of 3.5mm or 1/4 inch? I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I haven't really been able to find an answer. If it isn't possible, what is the difference between 3 pin XLR and 1/4 inch that makes this impossible?

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated 

You can use an XLR but why do this? When folks see an XLR connector they assume it's one channel of balanced audio. Yours will work but may cause some questions because it's unusual in that it's 2 channels of unbalanced audio.

XLRs are sturdy, heavy and they lock in. That's great for mic cables on a stage but sort of clunky for headphones.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply! I know it's kind of unusual, but I just like the way XLR jacks look    I guess using mini XLR would be slightly more practical. Thanks again for the help!

Reply #3
Oh! I have one more question: Would using a regular vertical pc mount mini XLR jack work? Or would something more round about like connecting a panel mount jack with wires to the board be easier? Thanks for any help!

Reply #4
I was wondering with DIY amps like the O2 if it's theoretically possible to use a 3 pin XLR jack instead of 3.5mm or 1/4 inch?

I've also considered this but haven't found a credible source that thinks it's worthwhile. What I do find is stuff like,

"Within home stereo equipment, which in general is all unbalanced, it makes sense to use unbalanced cable through out the system. Using balanced cables within this scenario does not make a large amount of sense, since the transitions between the two types of audio will outweigh the benefits." ~ http://soundinfo.wikidot.com/ballanced-vs-unballanced-audio

Also some general info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

and maybe this is what you need?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_unit
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)