Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help me organize my music? (Read 6337 times) previous topic - next topic

Help me organize my music?

I would like to transfer my CD collection (Start with about 300 CDs, eventually 1000)  to my PC.  My plan is to store everything on a NAS, in a lossless format TBD.  In the process I would like to make copies of some CDs to use in my car.  The player in my car supports CD text, so I want to burn CD text with album & track info, even if the original was a plain CD. 

I would like to be able to stream the music to various locations in my home, so ideally my storage approach would be compatible with Sonos, Squeezebox,  (haven't decided which one to buy) and also iTunes. 

So my questions are:

(a) What should be my directory structure?  I am thinking Artist/Album/Tracks ...  How should be the tracks named?  Does it actually matter, or all these programs/servers (Sonos, Squeezebox,  iTunes) read the tags and do not care about physical location?

More than half the music is classical which makes things even more complicated -- I plan to follow http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ClassicalStyleGuide

(b) What tools & work-flow should I use?  I ripped a few CDs using dbpower (which supports accurate rip) and also EAC to flac.  But to burn the CD text, all I could figure is to go back to waw and burn using nero.  In the process I am losing the album title & artist name,  but track names are kept. 

© I would like to download/link the album art -- what is the best way to go about it?

(d) Any other advice?

I am a newbie, so please accept my apologies if all these have been answered before.  Thanks! -- Ham

Help me organize my music?

Reply #1
I would like to transfer my CD collection (Start with about 300 CDs, eventually 1000)  to my PC.  My plan is to store everything on a NAS, in a lossless format TBD.  In the process I would like to make copies of some CDs to use in my car.  The player in my car supports CD text, so I want to burn CD text with album & track info, even if the original was a plain CD. 

I would like to be able to stream the music to various locations in my home, so ideally my storage approach would be compatible with Sonos, Squeezebox,  (haven't decided which one to buy) and also iTunes. 

So my questions are:

(a) What should be my directory structure?  I am thinking Artist/Album/Tracks ...  How should be the tracks named?  Does it actually matter, or all these programs/servers (Sonos, Squeezebox,  iTunes) read the tags and do not care about physical location?

More than half the music is classical which makes things even more complicated -- I plan to follow http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ClassicalStyleGuide

(b) What tools & work-flow should I use?  I ripped a few CDs using dbpower (which supports accurate rip) and also EAC to flac.  But to burn the CD text, all I could figure is to go back to waw and burn using nero.  In the process I am losing the album title & artist name,  but track names are kept. 

© I would like to download/link the album art -- what is the best way to go about it?

(d) Any other advice?

I am a newbie, so please accept my apologies if all these have been answered before.  Thanks! -- Ham

So my questions are:

(d) Any other advice?

I don't have much to help you,but you might look into this program for burning with cd-text...
http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4