Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multi-track conversion error (Read 4408 times) previous topic - next topic

Multi-track conversion error

I'm having trouble converting an group of flac files into a single multi-track flac file. Using Foobar 1.0 beta 6 and flac 1.2.1. I'm trying to convert a four disc album. I'm able to encode any combination of one, two, or three discs of this particular album but when I try to encode all four I get the following error. The resulting file is only 1.43 GB. Any ideas?

Code: [Select]
1 out of 110 tracks converted with major problems.

Source: "M:\Music\(Disc 4) - 26.flac"
  Could not write chapter information: Unsupported format or corrupted file

Reply #1
How long is the audio (in total) and how many samples / channels / bits-per-sample?

It could be that you are hitting a 2GiB limit that I remember confronting in foobar2000 previously.

[edit] Just created a 7+ hour WAV in foobar2000 - and it did it, but when I put it into a playlist and examined its properties it is 6:45:47.887 long (44100 x 2 (channel) x 2 (16 bit) x (6*3600+45*60+47.887) = 4GiB (give or take a few bytes)). So, foobar creates RIFF WAV files and not RIFF64 or BWF files. If you are having a problem with 4 albums (max 80 minutes each) then I would suspect that the problem is with FLAC. [/edit]
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #2
Duration : 4:47:20.187 (760292232 samples)
Sample Rate : 44100 Hz
Channels : 2
Bits Per Sample : 16

Reply #3
On the other hand, which file system is the destination drive formatted with? If it is FAT32 then there will be a Windows imposed 2GiB limit (I use NTFS).

[edit] Tried to create a large FLAC file and it crashed as soon as the filesize on disk exceeded 2GiB (on the same destination where I put the large WAV file, so no 2GiB drive induced limit). This sounds like a signed 32-bit integer being used for filesize internally in FLAC rather than an unsigned 32-bit integer. [/edit]

[edit2] I did mean GiB rather than TiB.... [/edit2]
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #4
The drive is NTFS.

Reply #5
I think that the limitation lies with FLAC. A quick calculation estimates that the average FLAC bitrate for each of the albums exceeds 996kbit/s.

[edit] Re-reading your statement that the file is 1.43GiB in size.... What is the total size of the four FLAC albums that are to be joined into a single image? [/edit]

[edit2] Is there enough "padding" in the resultant FLAC file to accommodate all of the metadata associated with the four albums? That might explain the "Could not write chapter information" error. add "-P 131072" or "--padding 131072" to the FLAC command line (the default padding size for a FLAC file created from piped input is 65536 bytes). Sorry for going off on the wrong track to begin with. [/edit2]

[edit3] .... or on second thoughts - the padding issue may not be one at all - the file would get re-written to accommodate a larger block of metadata. [/edit3]

Reply #6
Extra padding doesn't seem to help.

Reply #8
Thanks Josh.