Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Alsa soundcard for icecast (Read 2030 times) previous topic - next topic

Alsa soundcard for icecast

Assuming I can come up with the mula, I'll be starting an Internet radio station in January (mula being the minimum $500/year that SoundExchange wants plus a used CD shopping spree)

Primary purpose is two or three times a week, stream songs by local indy bands. But if I have the servers set up anyway, I'll also try to monetize it other times of the week with other shows (IE I have a nice collection of Flamenco CDs)

For just playlists sound card doesn't matter, but it looks like the easiest way to do what I want (mix me on microphone with music) is to have ices2 grab from the sound cards DSP and then encode the stream from there.

I need a soundcard (PCI / PCI-E preferred, I don't trust USB for this) that works well with alsa at 44.1KHz sample rate (I'm guessing that's best because that's what all my flac is) - with native driver in the kernel - CentOS 6 which is 2.6.32 and alsa-lib 1.0.22

Any suggestions?

Would be *nice* if it had support for several audio in, it might be fun to try an on-air request line or if it takes off, live phone interviews with local band members. Maybe though that would be best done with a hardware mixer before the sound card ??

Alsa soundcard for icecast

Reply #1
I'm not sure the disdain for USB..

I recorded and mixed several of my old band's songs using a Lexicon Omega USB audio interface under Linux using Ardour..

http://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-Omega-Studio...e/dp/B0007UQ570

Supports up to 4 channels at once..  We used it to record every track, including the drums using all 4 channels on that thing.  Never had a glitch.. Audio quality was great (IMO).

I wouldn't hesitate to use that, or something like it, in a live internet radio setting.