Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is still aoTuV better than CVS? (Read 8741 times) previous topic - next topic

Is still aoTuV better than CVS?

Hello,

since aoTuV wasnot almost 2 years updated, I wanted to know if it is still better than latest libVorbis, since I know xiph.org adapt the tunings done by aoyumi I suspect it already has all improvements from aoTuV b5.7. Does still aoTuV perform better?

Reply #1
since I know xiph.org adapt the tunings done by aoyumi I suspect it already has all improvements from aoTuV b5.7
Is this true? aotuv beta 2 was adapted in vorbis 1.1. I don't know any subsequent adaptions.

Does still aoTuV perform better?

My opinion:

Stereo: Unclear. aotuv is optimized acc. to low bitrates, but CVS has dynamic stereo processing (and aotuv 5.7 not).

More channels as stereo: I think, CVS is better, because CVS has channel coupling, and aotuv 5.7 not.

Aoyumi, if you read this: please release a new aotuv vorbis, based on the CVS. Thanks a lot.

Best regards

akapuma

Reply #2
i guess tha vorbis 1.3.1 is better tha aotuv only for q4 or more, and aotuv b57 is only for low bitrate in my opinion

vorbis 1.3.1 also have a swtich that disable stereo coupling at any bitrate

and i test vorbis 1.3.2 and i found that it have a High frequency boost very annoying at q6

PD: i know that  broke the TOS #8

Reply #3
and i test vorbis 1.3.2 and i found that it have a High frequency boost very annoying at q6

That's interesting. Could ya upload somewhere a song excerpt in lossless format with noticeable artifact about which you write, or give a reference to the part so that I could compare, Vorbis in q6 should be transparent everywhere except high end audio systems and I don't hear anything wrong with it.

Reply #4
TOS #8 again,  sorry, but  is this  like a lack of bass or very little HF boost , in my low end equipment and i guess that the reproduction  my iriver t60 may be not be too accurate, but i'll put more attention and post it if i find something that other can verify. Is this not an artifact of vorbis, only is annoying when  put 1.3.2 files in my iriver and hear the very little lack of bass, so is the iriver playback fault i think.

I can't reproduce in ABX in the pc, sorry , i fail the attempt

conclusion : may be placebo effect  or iriver's fault

Reply #5
I have an iriver clix and it also has bad bass with vorbis. The iriver players decode vorbis in "low memory" mode, which causes a constant hissing/crackling noise especially noticeable in quiet moments or in music with heavy bass. It's terrible, and I was forced into buying a fuze (I'm very happy that I did tbh)...

Reply #6
Aoyumi, if you read this: please release a new aotuv vorbis, based on the CVS. Thanks a lot.

I think what is planned is the opposite: the next official libvorbis (1.4 version), will integrate latest AoTuV tunings.
Opus 96 kb/s (Android) / Vorbis -q5 (PC) / WavPack -hhx6m (Archive)

Reply #7
I have an iriver clix and it also has bad bass with vorbis. The iriver players decode vorbis in "low memory" mode, which causes a constant hissing/crackling noise especially noticeable in quiet moments or in music with heavy bass. It's terrible, and I was forced into buying a fuze (I'm very happy that I did tbh)...

My samsung yp-t7 vorbis has the 100HZ bug in low precision mode or low memory

My iriver  t-60 it does not have the 100hz bug, but I guess that low precision mode is active, and it does not play ogg  vorbis files with the --disable_coupling switch active in oggenc

i want the sansa fuze

Reply #8
More channels as stereo: I think, CVS is better, because CVS has channel coupling, and aotuv 5.7 not.

The CVS version was optimized for 5.1/7.1 channel coupling due to the need for it in Google WebM project so yes you are right there. It implements are lot of very complicated channel coupling modes, which shave the bitrate down substantially.

I think what is planned is the opposite: the next official libvorbis (1.4 version), will integrate latest AoTuV tunings.

That's the plan as far as I know and what has been stated by Xiph. This is usually the case for most releases as long as Aoyumi wants or plans to continue to tune Vorbis.
budding I.T professional