Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bash Script: Flac to vorbis transcode (Read 11097 times) previous topic - next topic

Bash Script: Flac to vorbis transcode

Hi, I would appreciate some help with a bash script for converting flac to ogg vorbis. I know there are already lots around, as well as many specific tools, but I have not had any success so far, despite many hours of googling - and my own linux skills are limited.

None of the existing scripts have worked for me so far. What I am trying to do:

- on linux (debian)
-using a script (not a gui), take a large library of flac files, organised into /artist/album/files, and transcode them to a separate ogg vorbis directory
-maintain all existing tags when transcoding
-of course, maintain the directory structure

I would appreciate any pointers to scripts others have used successfully. Thanks in advance.

Re: Bash Script: Flac to vorbis transcode

Reply #1
I was going to suggest Caudec, but that doesn't seem to exist any more.

Reply #2
I was going to suggest Caudec, but that doesn't seem to exist any more.

Thanks yes I found that on here but it seems to have gone away...I also found brutha on here but that didn't work on my laptop for some reason. From other sources I found eg perl audio converter but again that didn't work for me. That's also why I am looking for a simple bash script which I can at least try to understand :)

Reply #3
Theory
You can do a 2step process to avoid overcomplicated scripting
A. Use cp with s switch (symlinks) to copy the flac dir structure to new location
B. Find & encode those symlinks, files dest the same as src (irc oggenc should take flacs directly?) Example script.
C. Optionaly delete those flac symlinks.

Practice
https://youtu.be/YFcw6H8ht1A
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #4
Thank you that was extremely helpful. Building on your suggestion I have successfully tried this:

Code: [Select]
#create directories and symlinks
cp -rs ~/Music/FLAC ~/Music/vorbis

#change directory to vorbis directory
cd ~/Music/vorbis

#encode symlinks to vorbis q6 using oggenc and parallel
find . -lname "*.flac" | parallel --gnu oggenc -q6 {}

#Remove symlinks
find . -lname "*.flac" -exec rm {} \+
find . -lname "*.jpg" -exec rm {} \+

I realised that I was creating symlinks to the album art files - I need to figure out how to copy them over next.

Reply #5
Probably converting jpges from symlinks to regular files (with another find) could be the answer (That would be before you delete them).
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8377312/how-to-convert-symlink-to-regular-file
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung