Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speex wishlist (Read 12061 times) previous topic - next topic

Speex wishlist

Reply #25
Originally posted by S_O

speex 8kHz ~7,8KBit/s (quality 3): with two speakers talking you can still understand everything, with more than two voices it´s yust noise. sounds better than acelp/wma. Two strange "Knackser" (google doesn´t translate it, typically problem with LPs), must be a bug in the encoder/decoder.

Please send me the file (if smaller than 1 Meg) to If it's a bug, I'll fix it. To make that easier, please give me the exact options you used for both the encoder and decoder.

Speex wishlist

Reply #26
Sorry, it´s not bug, at least not in speex, it was a problem with my soundcard and 8kHz-files. A new set of new drivers fixed that.

Speex wishlist

Reply #27
Originally posted by S_O
Sorry, it´s not bug, at least not in speex, it was a problem with my soundcard and 8kHz-files. A new set of new drivers fixed that.

You mean the missing last half second bug or the "Knackser" at 8 kbps? If it's the second, I'd like to look at it...

Speex wishlist

Reply #28
No the "Knackser" was caused by my soundcard, the missing half second at the end is (at least I think so) not caused by my soundcard.

Speex wishlist

Reply #29
I found out that you can compress the files with zip/rar/ace by about 5%. This is quite high, maybe you can improve the huffman-coding (or whatever you use).

Speex wishlist

Reply #30
A GUI for those less computer savvy would be a big plus. There is a fellow on this site that makes great gui's all the time but I can't remember his nick.

Do you think he might add this to his project list?

Speex wishlist

Reply #31
Originally posted by kennedyb4
A GUI for those less computer savvy would be a big plus. There is a fellow on this site that makes great gui's all the time but I can't remember his nick.

Speek. (Speex? )

Do you think he might add this to his project list?

I think this is not the right time to create a GUI. The Speex project is still in early alpha stage, and command line switches can still change.

Besides, this release isn't intended yet to be used for newbies. The purpose is to test the technology - it will still change a lot, and files encoded with this release probably won't be decodable with next release.

Regards;

Roberto.

Speex wishlist

Reply #32
Originally posted by rjamorim

The Speex project is still in early alpha stage, and command line switches can still change.
The purpose is to test the technology - it will still change a lot, and files encoded with this release probably won't be decodable with next release.

Actually, the current state of Speex is more than just testing the technology. I plan to release the first beta, along with a bit-stream freeze within a month. Although I cannot promise, it is quite possible that the current 0.7.0 bit-stream will be the final one. The command-line switches will quite likely stay the same too. Only the API will change slightly in the next release, something that hasn't happened in a long while.

Speex wishlist

Reply #33
Thanks to everyone who made Speex and also for the Win32 binary. I'd been anxious to try it and was not disappionted. At about 3.5kbps the results were very nice -- makes 32kbps MP3 sound like .RA in comparison. =D
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Speex wishlist

Reply #34

Speek. (Speex? :

Doh  Sorry Speek 

I hear what you say about newbies. I have to confess I bought my first box strictly for audio and just started using it about 2 years ago when I first found Napster and --r3mix.

Its just the curiosity thing getting me. This is an app that I can use and from what I am hearing about it, this programme rocks a bit.

Time to be patient.