Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ben Hillier to produce the new Depeche Mode album (Read 4054 times) previous topic - next topic

Ben Hillier to produce the new Depeche Mode album

As a moderated Depeche fan, was quite shocked with the news about Ben Hillier producing the new DM album scheduled for early 2009. I did not like Playing the Angel, as it was distorted and one of the loudest albums DM made. So here comes another very extreme loud album! (-13db) For my disappointment!!!

Reply #1
It's not Hiller's fault.  He didn't master it.  In fact the record is quite dynamic, but you'd only know that if you bought the vinyl.  Yes, Virginia, vinyl does sound better: http://brianstagg.co.uk/p_t_a_clipressed/

Reply #2
I heard PTA vinyl, at least 3 vinyl rips. It's poor. Of course it's of a lower volume, but the sound quality is the same, to me very suspicious. The vinyl waveform have got the peaks but to me could be a "processed" digital transfer. I don't like the overall sound of the album. Someone mentioned that SACD 2.0/5.1 is fine though.

Reply #3
I heard PTA vinyl, at least 3 vinyl rips. It's poor. Of course it's of a lower volume, but the sound quality is the same, to me very suspicious. The vinyl waveform have got the peaks but to me could be a "processed" digital transfer. I don't like the overall sound of the album. Someone mentioned that SACD 2.0/5.1 is fine though.

Depends on who did the transfer, what their set up was, A/D converters, and what post processing they did.  It's not inconceivable that torrenters might just be using the $150 USB table with included cart to rip.  To my ears, the vinyl sounds much better.  I really don't believe they used the same master for the vinyl as vinyl that's been produced from loud masters sounds like absolute shit, and this record doesn't.  YMMV