Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Post your screen-shot (Read 17161 times) previous topic - next topic

Post your screen-shot

I don't know if it's just me or am I lately noticing too often posts with screen-shots that exceeds some common sense image dimensions that should be posted (I guess mostly foobar forum)
First it's ugly, then it's rude and ignorant posting 1600 px image in forum or just anything above at least 800 px should be thumbnailed before posting

I'm using right now 19'' CRT monitor with 1280x960, I have also flat 22'' set on 1680 and occasionally using laptop on 1024x876. While I can only guess what others are using I searched quickly and here is some result based on using browsers
And it's not just that, but even today some users are browsing with dial-up modems or limited bandwidth for whatever reasons. I couldn't find statistics with quick search

Please do something about this?

Post your screen-shot

Reply #1
FWIW, I find it annoying as well. Not only when browsing from my mobile (for obvious reasons), but also when the page is simply slow to load just because someone thought he had to prove his point by providing a 2 MB fullscreen image.

But what could we do with it, from the moderation or forum software standpoint? There no way to intelligently filter/reject posts based on linked images or something and what the members post is always up to their own discretion and you can't count everybody will read any number of stickies, notices, big red messages or whatever.

We (as the moderators) could go around replacing inlined images larger than some size with thumbnailed links (or rehost them elsewhere if not possible), but I'm not sure if someone here is bored enough to do that regularly. Maybe I could craft some script to do that with one click, at least.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Post your screen-shot

Reply #2
That could be smart solution
Thanks for considering, Yirkha

Post your screen-shot

Reply #3
consider laptop users or modem users or user not interested in your particular screenshot when postingthanks for considering
I think that rule has kind of been neglected since the forum started resizing large images. Do you have javascript enabled?

Moderation: Added a quote for reference before moving to another topic.

Post your screen-shot

Reply #4
It is resized, but whole image is downloaded anyway.

Post your screen-shot

Reply #5
I think that rule has kind of been neglected since the forum started resizing large images. Do you have javascript enabled?

most image-hosting providers have special thumbnail links for forums
and it is forum - which can be read by browser, rss reader, mobile phone among other problems stated

although this thread is related to posting screen-shots, imagine annoyance when loading page with more then 10 posts being > 1000 px wide
to me it looks ugly, ignorant and rude and I don't see reason why uploader shouldn't bother with providing thumbnail as a rule (+ replacing the linked image with actual image and not image-hoster main page)

I can enable caching just for this thread but then users are posting their captures "as is" also elsewere, so I want to promote it
ideas for resolving can be discussed here

Post your screen-shot

Reply #6
WOW...ignorant and rude?

Post your screen-shot

Reply #7
It's fine, chill out
It should be AND/OR instead and

Post your screen-shot

Reply #8
And I thought the discussion is concerning the configs. Foolish me :-) As I see it, everyone sharing screenshots of ColumnsUI configs _should_ share a screenshot of a decent size - to be able to look at the configs immidiately and compare. Having to go to external hosts for e screenshot is a pain, especially when ImageShack (which is used very often) is slower than a drunken donkey. My screenshot had already been published on my local blog, so I just used it again. Any comments on the config would be highly appreciated, this is my first. Stay well all.
In the province of the mind, there are no limits.

Post your screen-shot

Reply #9
Having to go to external hosts for e screenshot is a pain, especially when ImageShack (which is used very often) is slower than a drunken donkey

ImageShack forum thumbnail link, looks like this (example):
[font= "Courier New"]|URL=http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imageky.png||IMG|http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7601/imageky.th.png|/IMG||/URL|[/font]

and only the image link looks like this, for example:
[font= "Courier New"]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7601/imageky.png[/font]

you should change the first link with later:
[font= "Courier New"]|URL=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7601/imageky.png||IMG|http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7601/imageky.th.png|/IMG||/URL|[/font]

or put it differently, you are one click away from screen-shot that you are interested in if you change:

http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imageky.png to http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7601/imageky.png

which isn't big deal when you already bothered with taking the shot and uploading anyway

Post your screen-shot

Reply #11
OK, my last on the topic. I _always_ read rules for posting, if there are any. Of course I didn't read the whole 40 pages of this thread, to be able to see that large screens bother some of you. Several upper posts already included large screens. I am very reasonable, as I hope other people are. If there are many that are bothered with large screens, _please_ set a rule for thumbnails etc. in the first post - it is the only real way to do it. Have a good night.
In the province of the mind, there are no limits.

Post your screen-shot

Reply #12
This is like complaining that the babe threads of the Rage3D forum are full of large images. 
I for one, do not have any suitable thumbnailing routine set up for my image uploads currently, as my publication script is just an optipng (for bandwidth) and scp.
Stay sane, exile.

Post your screen-shot

Reply #13
optipng, pngout etc aren't likely to do anything for large screen-shot, rather compress them in JPG with some good percentage for bandwidth care, and they'll still blow in your screen (until JS resizer). Just imagine near future when monitors grows even larger with screen-shots 2048, 2560...
and that's one of the reasons I rarely browse CUI/DUI galleries (to laugh, wonder or even admire some foobar layout idea)

Post your screen-shot

Reply #14
wanna see 2pac "Dear Mama" ugly 1920 px shot? lol
future is near, here

Post your screen-shot

Reply #15
I have big monitor, that's not the problem. If you are interested why I'm doing this look in "Site Related Discussion" forum

Post your screen-shot

Reply #16
If by "resize" you mean "scale down the full image in the browser", yes, it "resizes".
Also, JPEG? I bet you five pinecones that a suitably optimized PNG would be half that size, at least.
Stay sane, exile.

Post your screen-shot

Reply #17
pedantic
pe⋅dan⋅tic /pəˈdæntɪk/
  -adjective
  Overly concerned with minute details or formalisms.

this is 2010. the days of dial-up and CRTs is long gone. everybody has a 22" lcd. everyone has optical broadband.
unless you live in Australia, bandwidth is a non-issue.

besides, the form resizes images.

so what's the big deal?

Post your screen-shot

Reply #18
You don't need to understand everything
If above posts aren't clear enough for you, just carry on

Post your screen-shot

Reply #19
the forum resizes images automatically
Well, it doesn't work properly if your browser isn't somewhere near maximised (i.e. it works from the screen resolution or something)

Post your screen-shot

Reply #20
what other definition of the word "resize" are you imaging?

seriously, this is innane. if a few extra MB cripples your bandwidth allocation, then get a better service package.
and if an image is bigger than your monitor - well, maybe it's time for a hardware upgrade.

Post your screen-shot

Reply #21
Please don't throw yourself around with your 1920 px screen-shot
Make it thumbnail or don't post if you don't know how to do that

To request a member not to post here only because his posted images are larger than you want to have them (I did read your thread you are referring to) is indeed something which is beyond your rights as a member, 2E7AH.

As long as there is no picture size limit described in Hydrogenaudio's ToS or a moderator/administrator mentions either a limit or the duty for thumbnailing a member only can ask or beg another member to do something.

By the way, your avatar picture (the last one you used before the actual one) was a terrible animated gif which I got headaches from so that I blocked it in my browser.

Never I would have considered to brief you to change it or not to post here anymore. And there are some good reasons against animated gifs as well as against not thumbnailed oversized pictures.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Post your screen-shot

Reply #22
By the way, your avatar picture (the last one you used before the actual one) was a terrible animated gif which I got headaches from so that I blocked it in my browser.

glad it worked

Post your screen-shot

Reply #23
glad it worked 

I hope this is meant to be funny.  

Otherwise I am sure a wilful annoyance of other members with each of your posts by an unsuited avatar image is worse than the posting of one (too) large picture...
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.