Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What do the CUETools errors mean and how do I handle them? (Read 2425 times) previous topic - next topic

What do the CUETools errors mean and how do I handle them?

I have been scanning my full library of FLAC and WAV files with CUETools and see some errors in the library of 20,000+ songs.
I would appreciate advice on this:

A)
I don't understand some of the error messages.  In simple terms, what do these messages mean and what actions should be taken to handle them?

1. Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.  Parameter name: position.

2. Audio format is not redbook PCM.

3. HDCD detected.  (I assume this stands for "High Definition Compatible Digital". I don't know what significance it has in the scan.  Is CUETools just informing me of this for info?)

B)

1,000+ tracks have the error "disk not present in database" for both AR and CTDB.  I understand this to mean that they weren't in either database.  That seems like a bad sign for common artists like The Beatles or Aretha Franklin.  Does this mean the files are corrupt?  What would be my next step in narrowing down possible problems?

C)

1,000+ files show "Rip Not Accurate".  It is my understanding that CUETools may be able to repair these.  Is the recommended action to try to repair the files that are not accurate?  If so, is there some sensible procedure to repair the 1,000+ files other than individually loading them one by one and trying a repair?  I assume I should try to repair a copy of the file and not the original.  I've looked for a good tutorial to better understand the repair process.  There are various threads with pieces of good information but I don't have a comprehensive understanding of the process.

In summary, my CUETools scan of the full library is almost complete and it has various errors described above.  I'm looking for the next steps to methodically address the problems.

Cheers.

Re: What do the CUETools errors mean and how do I handle them?

Reply #1
A1) Do you have more information about the rip or rips?
A2) Input audio files must be uncompressed or compressed Red Book 2-channel 16-bit LPCM sampled at 44,100 Hz
A3) CUETools can decode a HDCD image to 20-bit and store as 24-bit or (16-bit lossyWav) audio files (irreversible). http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Advanced_Settings:_HDCD
A) other special messages (non-exception) http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_log#Special_Messages_Section

B) CUETools can verify complete CD rips. It cannot verify individual tracks unless part of the whole CD.
"disk not present in database" in both databases can be from missing tracks, tracks out of order, truncated tracks of more than one partial sector, or a digital download that didn't come from a CD. WAV file names should start with track numbers (padded if more than 10 tracks, e.g. 01 track.wav) for proper track order and one CD per folder (or use .cue or .m3u file for track order).
Missing tracks or tracks out of order may also be from bad or missing metadata.
You should check the *.accurip log. It will tell you if one or more tracks didn't end on a sector boundary or the number of tracks verified.

C) Again you should start by checking the *.accurip log.
The repair is done by encoding new file(s) so you'll still have the original.
I haven't written a guide for repair on the wiki. I planned to but never got around to it. I usually answer questions about repair here on a case by case basis.
korth

Reply #2
Korth, you rock. 
Thanks for all the help.

I would upload an example file of "Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: position."   I appear to be out of attachment space and can't upload the 31 MB file.

CUETools is still scanning the library. 
You wrote to check the log.  I'll do that.  Where do I find the ".accurip log"?

Reply #3
Uploading or linking more than 30 seconds of Copyrighted audio violates #9 of our Terms of Service anyway.
Where do I find the ".accurip log"
If you set the AccurateRip tab per the guide that SimBun linked in the other thread, it should be in the source folder.
korth

Reply #4
Okay.
I read the CUETools verification link and made the necessary settings. 
CUETools is generating a log in each folder as it scans now.
Once that scan is done I'll look at these logs as you suggested.
Thank you.

Reply #5
The following messages could indicate a corrupt file when using the default FLAC decoder in CUETools:
Code: [Select]
invalid frame
unsupported bps coding
unsupported frame coding
invalid sample rate mode
invalid channel mode
header crc mismatch
unsupported residual coding
invalid partition order
cbits >= 16
negative shift
unsupported subframe coding (ch == x)
invalid subframe type
frame crc mismatch
FLAC stream not found
headerless file unsupported
korth

Reply #6
In retrospect it would have made sense to have removed any downloaded albums, or albums with file corruption (flac -t) before processing it with CUETools.

Reply #7
In retrospect it would have made sense to have removed any downloaded albums, or albums with file corruption (flac -t) before processing it with CUETools.
If an album has one corrupted file, you may or may not be able to verify the rest.
IDK what the chances would be for a repair - likely low! - but one FLAC frame is typically 16kbytes decoded, and that might be within what a recovery record can do?

Edit:
Also, when batch verifying, you can copy the report window into a text editor (Notepad++ ...), do some text processing to get out which folders are troublesome, and move them to a different root folder. Then start scrutinizing those.
(There is no creative batch processing that can copy or move if verified? It can only convert if verified?)

Reply #8
If an album has one corrupted file, you may or may not be able to verify the rest.
IDK what the chances would be for a repair - likely low! - but one FLAC frame is typically 16kbytes decoded, and that might be within what a recovery record can do?
To repair, the audio data preceding and following the corrupt area would need to stay in the correct position (e.g. the corrupt area padded with null samples so the audio ends on the correct sector boundary) or everything after the corrupt area would not match (skipping a FLAC frame would be an issue).
You could verify the rest of the CD by padding the corrupt file out to the proper length though.
korth

Reply #9
To repair, the audio data preceding and following the corrupt area would need to stay in the correct position (e.g. the corrupt area padded with null samples so the audio ends on the correct sector boundary) or everything after the corrupt area would not match (skipping a FLAC frame would be an issue).
You could verify the rest of the CD by padding the corrupt file out to the proper length though.
BTW, latest version of reference FLAC decoder outputs silence for corrupted frames instead of skipping, so doesn't change length.

Reply #10
The built-in libFLAC decoder would likely still stop decoding on error.
I could try adding a custom decoder with the -F option to see what CUETools does with a corrupt FLAC.
korth

Reply #11
The built-in libFLAC decoder would likely still stop decoding on error.
You are right about that.
So, the only information you get outright, is if you have selected verify "only if found"; if it starts at all, it means it is a CD that CUETools has found in the databases.

I would absolutely not recommend to recompress with flac.exe to get an "error-free" .flac with wrong data (then you have concealed the problem!), except you can try that on a disposable copy of the folder. Then, provided a new flac.exe is used, the new "fake-uncorrupted" file has the same length and CUETools will find it. Most likely it cannot be repaired, but one could be curious enough to try.

I could try adding a custom decoder with the -F option to see what CUETools does with a corrupt FLAC.
But how to select a custom decoder upon verify?

Reply #12
But how to select a custom decoder upon verify?
IF useful, a profile could be created to use that decoder.
I'll try to find a few test files this week.
korth

Reply #13
CUETools completed scanning the library last night.

I copied and pasted the CUETools scan results into an Excel grid to filter various results and get an overview.
I am sharing the overall results here:

1360 tracks show AR: rip accurate, CTDB verified ok

552  tracks show AR: rip not accurate

289  tracks show AR: rip not accurate, CTDB verified ok (this includes 289 of the 552 wherein AR: rip not accurate showed up)

392  tracks show the song not present in either database

52   tracks show "specified argument was out of the range of valid values.  Parameter position.

There might be some additional messages but those are the main ones.

Reply #14
289  tracks show AR: rip not accurate, CTDB verified ok (this includes 289 of the 552 wherein AR: rip not accurate showed up)
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools#Why_AccurateRip_database_lookups_sometimes_fail

These should be rerun with 'Detailed log = True' (if that option wasn't set and cannot be verified by pressing offset)
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Advanced_Settings:_Advanced
korth

Reply #15
Thank you Korth,
Shall I just delete the logs and then re-scan the whole library with this setting?

Reply #16
Just the 289 (possibly the 552). See note below.

On the AccurateRip tab
You could change log file name format from
%filename%.accurip
to
%filename%[ %unique%].accurip

This will create a new file if one exists ending with a number starting with 1.

Note: I added a suggestion to the previous post to check pressing offset results first.
korth

Reply #17
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools#Why_AccurateRip_database_lookups_sometimes_fail

These should be rerun with 'Detailed log = True' (if that option wasn't set and cannot be verified by pressing offset)
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Advanced_Settings:_Advanced

Thank you for this suggestion. 
I don't understand how to verify by pressing offset.  How does one do this? 

I've changed the log settings to "detailed log = true", but I don't understand what this will do and why I am doing it.

I am sure your suggestions are the right thing to do, but I'm sorry I don't understand why I am being directed to do these actions.  I don't know the software well enough.

It would seem more time-efficient for me to delete the log files and scan the entire library again overnight with this new setting you suggested.  (Otherwise, I need to manually pull up 552 file paths and check them again one by one.)   Since I don't know the purpose of the setting change it's hard for me to make that call.

That all said, I appreciate the time and thought you've put into this process.

Reply #18
Once you start reviewing the logs and asking questions about what it all means this will make more sense.

The new setting will add the CTDBID section of the log http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_log#Comparison_of_this_rip_.28whole_disc.29_to_CTDB_records which will give you clues on if a disc pregap or CD Extra Data track length may exist which may be needed for AccurateRip verification per that link I provided earlier (Why AccurateRip database lookups sometimes fail). This setting is also helpful to identify which CTDBID recovery record you want to use for repair.

The AccurateRip section of the log  may contain 'offsetted by ' sections which are possible pressing offsets. http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_log#AccurateRip_Section

If your rip matches a pressing but not the primary AccurateRip section, the rip is still accurate.

Also you will want to make sure 'Skip recently verified' is unticked before you rerun. http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Settings#.288.29_Mode_.7Bsection.7D (see 8.6)
korth

Reply #19
Thanks for all your help, Korth.
I've done these scans and am now reviewing each album with possible errors to determine the best handling.
Much appreciated.

Reply #20
If/when you ask about interpretation, be sure to post the full log. Also please, one rip per post (unless the situation is identical).
korth