Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Albumlist: Sort by Folder structure (Read 14607 times) previous topic - next topic

Albumlist: Sort by Folder structure

Hi,

I'm experiencing an annoying "feature" of the albumlist "sort by folder structure" funcionality. I did use the search function in this forum but didn't find an answer:

I'm adding a screen shot to illustrate my problem:

http://corni79.funpic.de/foobar_folderstructure.jpg

Albumlist doesn't sort "folders first" so I have these few songs starting with numbers sorted prior to the folders starting with "~". Is there a way to make albumlist sort folders first - so it's the same sorting as windows does?

There is no entry in the albumlist-configuration menu for "folder structure", so where would I change the search syntax options?

Thanks for help!

Cornelius

Reply #1
No one any idea? Stupid question? Wrong forum?

Is it really impossible for foobar to sort  a folder in the same way as windows does?

That's hard to belive!

Reply #2
Searching for "by folder structure" led me to this posting.

Reply #3
Hi SoilnRock

Just registered here because I also wanted to change the display of files in-between folders as you ask in your question. Back then (couple of weeks ago, I'm still a newbie ) I also found the solution in the thread herojoker pointed out.

That title format string will place a certain unicode character in front of the mp3 files (something like a bullet I guess) and there for foobar sorts them after the folders (roughly spoken).

From some other sources I was able to build my own custom title format display, which also solves the sorting problem with the files.
I also needed some string that would let me see three base-folders, that I added to my library (one folder on my harddrive and two folders on my external). So I am not sure if the following is helpful for you, well - anyway, here it is

Code: [Select]
$replace($replace($directory_path(%path%),C:\Long_Path_To_Harddrive_Folder,Harddrive,
Long_path_externalHD_1,external_HD1,Long_path_externalHD_2,external_HD2,),\,| )|$char(8250) %filename_ext%

What it does is, it replaces those three long paths from the library and replaces them with the words right behind each long path. You can add as many replace "pairs" as you like, and you can also delete some.

In addition to the replacement this also adds said unicode characters right in front of every single mp3 file (the one I used is some kind of angle bracket; you have to try some out because I also found that some chars are difficult for foobar to process and the display is very slow. If you have any more questions as to how to add the custom string to album list or how to modify it, I'll try my best to answer 

Reply #4
Hi Emerelle,

Thanks for your response and sorry for me answering only now, over a month later.

You solution is *almost* perfect! Folders are first now, but the following files still aren't sorted correctly:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50418512/foobar_sorting.jpg

As you can see, foobar uses some sort of "intuitive file sorting" which I disabled in Windows. Is there a way to disable that in foobar as well?

And the last minor thing would be the second line in the album list window "~ Musik ~". Can I get rid of it (or the first line)? I don't need "All Music" in the first line and "~ Musik ~" in the second line. Here's my version of your CODE:

$replace($replace($directory_path(%path%),F:\,),\,| )|$char(8250) %filename_ext%

If it's an easy task to do and you know how, please tell me.
Anyway, I already appreciate a lot!

Thanks again,

Cornelius

Reply #5
Sorry, I dont know why it sorts files that way, to be honest with you! Of the top of my head I dont know how to sort things differently or why foobar sorts it that way.

As for your second question, the developer said the root item can neither renamed nor removed, as far as I remember from the thread here. The second line would be the current folder you're browsing. Hope I understood your questions right

Reply #6

Hi Emerelle,

Thanks again. I really love foobar, it's the greatest audio-player I ever used.

Unfortunately, it really really annoys me, that it seems to be impossible for albumlist to sort "by folder structure" in the same way as windows does. I just don't get it. Every other programm I know and use shows my computer folder structure in the same way as the windows explorer does - except for foobar :-((

Bye,

Cornelius

Reply #7
I'd love it to be able to sort by folder structure. It would have to combine the folders that are entered into the media library. For example, if you have entered the following folders:

d:\music\rock\albums
d:\music\folk\albums
d:\music\folks\compilations

Then the top level tree would have to be music\

Reply #9
Hi everybody!

I am struggling with the views of "by folder structure": I would like to remove (#number of files in folder) from the folder-names. Does anybody know how to do this I have been trying stuff for two hours now, but still haven't got a clue were this is done. Could somebody please help me? I would be very grateful!

Kinds regards,
Bas

Reply #10
You can't remove the subitem counts in Album List. It's a feature proposal so maybe someday.

Reply #11
Thanks for the answer