Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_spdif - SPDIF support for foobar (Read 141464 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_spdif - SPDIF support for foobar

Reply #75
Bump

Just wondering if anyone has this working with Vista or am i wasting my time.  Come on there must be people out their listening to DTS

Regards

Reply #76
Bump

Just wondering if anyone has this working with Vista or am i wasting my time.  Come on there must be people out their listening to DTS

Regards

Got it thanks all 

Regards

Reply #77

I tried to use your plugin with Foobar v0.9.4.3 & v0.9.4.4 and get the following error.

"Failed to load DLL: foo_spdif.dll
Reason: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I tried deleting the dll from the components folder and then putting back again as you suggested in  Post #59 but that doesn't help either.

Did that error appear with the last version? What about earlier releases? And did you try reinstalling foobar as the message advised? (I think the necessary step is uninstalling and deleting whole directory by hand before new installation)

EDIT:
I've just thought that maybe there is some conflict between foo_spdif and other component you have installed (duplicated guids for example). Could you try to remove all 3rd party plugins but foo_spdif and see if the problem still exists?

Hi - I'm having the very same issue - repeatedly get the message FAILED TO LOAD DLL: FOO_SPDIF.DLL. Tried to fix this for the past 30 hours and no luck. Have XP SP2 on my PC with Turtle Beach AA Amigo and SPDIF enabled. Tried with/without foo_ac3 in components library. No happiness.  PowerDVD however works fine and is able to passthrough .ac3 files to Denon Receiver using SPDIF.  Have an old 600mHz desktop (XP SP2 Creative Live) in my basement. Through the LAN when I reference the very same foobar2k installation from the basement PC it works fine and loads foo_spdif without issues. Any leads will be greatly appreciated. Using Foobar ver 0.9.5.4 and spdif ver 1.3 Thank you.

Reply #78

I tried to use your plugin with Foobar v0.9.4.3 & v0.9.4.4 and get the following error.

"Failed to load DLL: foo_spdif.dll
Reason: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I tried deleting the dll from the components folder and then putting back again as you suggested in  Post #59 but that doesn't help either.

Did that error appear with the last version? What about earlier releases? And did you try reinstalling foobar as the message advised? (I think the necessary step is uninstalling and deleting whole directory by hand before new installation)

EDIT:
I've just thought that maybe there is some conflict between foo_spdif and other component you have installed (duplicated guids for example). Could you try to remove all 3rd party plugins but foo_spdif and see if the problem still exists?

Hi - I'm having the very same issue - repeatedly get the message FAILED TO LOAD DLL: FOO_SPDIF.DLL. Tried to fix this for the past 30 hours and no luck. Have XP SP2 on my PC with Turtle Beach AA Amigo and SPDIF enabled. Tried with/without foo_ac3 in components library. No happiness.  PowerDVD however works fine and is able to passthrough .ac3 files to Denon Receiver using SPDIF.  Have an old 600mHz desktop (XP SP2 Creative Live) in my basement. Through the LAN when I reference the very same foobar2k installation from the basement PC it works fine and loads foo_spdif without issues. Any leads will be greatly appreciated. Using Foobar ver 0.9.5.4 and spdif ver 1.3 Thank you.

Okay resolved this. Apparently I was missing runtime components for Visual C++ libraries. You can obtain a copy from Microsoft Download area: search for "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (X86)"
Thanks for the plugin and a fine music player.

Reply #79
Hi,

Still having troubles with proper speed of playback. Got foo_spdif v1.3  and foobar v 0.9.5.1, spdif pass selected in audigy options on 48khz level (i doubt it has any influence).
I see the issue has been soleved by rel. 0.3 so...why it doesn't work for me?
Should i have some other plugin installed as well? Or is there smthg i've overlooked/ not switched?

Mangi

Reply #81
The link still works fine for me. Give it another go.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #82
Thanks for this dll, but I still got some issues. Firstly, I still don't know how to make audio files play at normal speed, I'm new with foobar and I just really don't know what to do. And I use foobar equalizer, it works fine with all audio files and it worked with dts files too. But when I installed that this dll file, it stoped working with dts files, so any ideas how to make the equlizer work?

Reply #83

When I play either a .DTS or an .AC3 file in Foobar, it stops playing after each song. So I have to manually start each song again. I play these files through the S/PDIF plugin (foo_spdif).

I can confirm this. It stops 1 second before end of file when "Audigy 2 NX" is selected als Output. This problem does not appear when using "Null Output".

I have the same problem with spdif and Audigy 2 NX. Any ideas to solve the problem?

Reply #84
Hiya,

I am rather new to all of this.. but have gotten the following to work:

----------------------------------------------------------
With "WASAPI: Digital Output Device (SPDIF)" as output module:
* DTS -> spdif -> amplifier at 44.1 kHz (named .wav)

With "DS: Digital Output Device (SPDIF)" as output module:
* DTS -> spdif -> amplifier at 48 kHz (named .dts)
* AC3 -> spdif -> amplifier at 48 kHz

With "DS: Digital Output Device (SPDIF)" as output module
and "Allow playback at 48kHz for files recorded at 44,1kHz":
* DTS -> spdif -> amplifier at 44.1 kHz with increased speed (+10% pitch) (named .dts)

I could not test AC3 -> spdif -> amplifier at 44.1 kHz as I have no such file.
----------------------------------------------------------

My OS is Vista 64bit and I use Foobar 0.9.5.6 with foo_spdif 1.3 and foo_out_wasapi 1.2

The problem I would like to have help with is that I have to switch output device manually to be able to play both 44,1kHz DTS and 48kHz DTS/AC3.
Are there any way to put all these different types in one playlist so that foobar automatically change sampling rate on the spdif stream to my amplifier?
The amplifier automatically switches between AC3 and DTS when I switch between them in 48k.

Thanks in advance for any responses and for developing the programs and plug-ins..

/ Sazzily

Reply #85
First off, thanks Grzesio, this is the first time I've been able to seamlessly use SPDIF with a media library. WMP+AC3Filter always was a pain because WMP keeps the last file open in DirectShow, so SPDIF output is "locked", preventing outputting more than a single song over SPDIF. The only solution was to ouput SPDIF as PCM, aka "kernel streaming" in foobar, which had its own drawbacks.

I'd like to request 2 features for a new version of foo_spdif.

Implementing ApeV2 tags would make foo_spdif alot more usable, because it eliminates the need to use another program or foo_ac3/foo_input_dts to view/edit/see tags. The source of foo_input_dts is available here, which should be a good reference point (of course you'll also have to publish your source code in accordance to the GPL if you re-use the code).

The second feature is purely cosmetic. IMO, it would be "cleaner" to have "DTS" or "AC3" as the %codec% and the detailed info such as " 3/2.1 (5.1) 14bit LE" as %codec_profile%.

Reply #86
First off, thanks Grzesio, this is the first time I've been able to seamlessly use SPDIF with a media library. WMP+AC3Filter always was a pain because WMP keeps the last file open in DirectShow, so SPDIF output is "locked", preventing outputting more than a single song over SPDIF. The only solution was to ouput SPDIF as PCM, aka "kernel streaming" in foobar, which had its own drawbacks.

I'd like to request 2 features for a new version of foo_spdif.

Implementing ApeV2 tags would make foo_spdif alot more usable, because it eliminates the need to use another program or foo_ac3/foo_input_dts to view/edit/see tags. The source of foo_input_dts is available here, which should be a good reference point (of course you'll also have to publish your source code in accordance to the GPL if you re-use the code).

The second feature is purely cosmetic. IMO, it would be "cleaner" to have "DTS" or "AC3" as the %codec% and the detailed info such as " 3/2.1 (5.1) 14bit LE" as %codec_profile%.

Agreed, thanks for the plugin.

I would also like to second those 2 feature suggestions. Especially the APEv2 tagging.

I tried muxing my AC3/DTS files into Matroska Audio (MKA) containers and tag the tracks using the Matroska metadata system but Foobar2000 doesnt seem to support that (although as far as I am aware FLAC in MKA containers can be tagged).

On a separate topic, the plugin doesnt seem to be working correctly with the latest Foobar2000 version. Foobar2000 sometimes crashes when seeking and the seek bar/time elapsed indicator does not increment (i.e. stays at 0:00). Here are two logfiles (Log 1, Log 2).

Another thing I tried with regard to getting SPDIF output was using the DirectShow plugin, but for some reason that doesnt seem to use AC3 Filter. AC3Filter is a DirectShow filter isnt it?

Reply #87
Sorry for my absence but I am very busy lately

Is there no way to get RAW or PCM output?
For example when used with foo_dts, foo_ac3 or just foo_channel_mixer and thus output to any number of channels needed.

There is no way to output pcm multichannel stream through spdif, I'm not aware of it at least. S/PDIF was designed for pcm stereo only.

S/P-DIF is designed for only 2 channels of PCM, but it doesn't have to be stereo... With a sound card having 3 S/P-DIF outputs (or 3 sound cards)
you could output 5.1 if you just could address the individual channels. Kernel Streaming?

Reply #88
Hi,

I'de really like to use foo_spdif to pass some ac3 5.1 files through my spdif-output. But 'till now I've found no way to tag my files. I've tried to use foo_ac3 simultanously. That way I could tag my files, but couldn't prevent foo_ac3 to decode the ac3 stream, so I ended up in stereo.
So does anyone now a way to pass the ac3 stream through spdif and tag the files?

Reply #89
Grzesio:

Can you fix a problem of freezing zoobar player after each DTS file and out of seekbar (00:00)?

Meantime only way is to use Null output, but with this type there is no way to playing WAV-DTS/MP3/FLAC/ETC.

Also there is a problem with wrong DTS type identification of 96/24 tracks (48kHz in foobar)

Reply #90
Hi all,

Is there any chance to see this plugin ported over to foobar 1.x versions? Currently, I believe it only works with foobar v0.9.x

Thanks,

Reply #91
Hi...

I had a few minutes so I modified spdif plugin to work on Windows 7.
The old spdif plugin is very tricky so no wonder it refuse working on windows 7.
The new spdifer plugin is typical input component for foobar which transforms raw
ac3 or dts stream into spdif stream and forwards this stream as uncompressed audio data directly to the sound card.
This means that it may work only when certain conditions are met, that is:
1. foobar doesn't alter this stream in any way.
2. foobar has bitperfect output which transfer audio data to the audio device without any alteration.

To get ac3/dts over spdif in foobar on windows 7 do the following:

1. Remove old foo_spdif.dll and replace it by foo_spdifer.dll
2. Install WASAPI output component and set foobar's output to it.
3. Remove (disable) all components that could alter in any way the audio stream from spdifer plugin.
  This includes all of dsp plugins but to be shure, remove all components except input and output ones.
4. Set the volume level of foobar to 100%.

This should help, helped me on Windows 7 and Realtek ALC889A on board.
If it doesn't work for your soundcard you may try asio output component
instead of wasapi one but wasapi should be more compatible.

If you experience problems with seeking to the end of the file with WASAPI output try to decrease buffer length to 500ms or below.

Reply #92
I had a few minutes so I modified spdif plugin to work on Windows 7.
(...)

3. Remove (disable) all components that could alter in any way the audio stream from spdifer plugin.
  This includes all of dsp plugins but to be shure, remove all components except input and output ones.

While I consider this a very worthy undertaking, completely disabling the DSP in- and output components defies the purpose of using Fb2k for me. Many DSP decoding components provide additional functionality that should not need to be excluded, for example the tagging feature of the DTS plug-in.

I realize that this is not your fault, rather the plug-in programmers should finally give in to the user's request and make the sound processing optional and user switchable while maintaining their added functionality. This means, the DSP components in Fb2k should have some kind of pass-through mode, where the sound can be passed without pre-processing to a receiver with the appropriate codecs (AC3, DTS, etc.).

Update: Sorry, I realize now you were referring to other DSP components which would alter sound like replaygain. However, my previous point is still valid, if not for SPDIFER.

Reply #93
completely disabling the DSP in- and output components defies the purpose of using Fb2k for me.

Abusing the API much?

Reply #94
hi. first, thanks for porting this plugin.
however, on windows 7 x64 with foobar2000 1.1.7, I get this:

"Failed to load DLL: foo_spdifer.dll
Reason: This component is missing a required dependency, or was made for different version of foobar2000."

do I need any additional MSVC*.dll?
Also, do I need the WASAPI output plugin if I have the ASIO plugin installed?

Reply #95
do I need any additional MSVC*.dll?

Yes, it needs MSVCR100.DLL (from MSVC 2010 redist)

Reply #97
aww, http://ga.cba.pl/ is down for several days...
Grzesio or somebody who have foo_spdifer downloaded, can you share it somewhere?

Reply #98
Hello. I have a cheap plug-and-play USB sound card that uses standard windows drivers which have some limitations, namely: the driver does not support SPDIF output. WinampAC3 plugin in Winamp has a feature called "Output SPDIF as PCM". In the manual they call it "SPDIF-as-PCM trick". What it essentially does is the following:

"Because of PCM nature of SPDIF transmission we can trick the sound card and say that we want to transmit PCM data, but send compressed stream instead."

It works like a charm.

Now the question: is there any way to do this with foo_spdif.dll plugin? So far it says: "Unable to open item for playback (Sound card driver has refused SPDIF format!)"

I have tried Kernel Streaming plugin, but it keeps saying "Unrecoverable playback error: KS output error: error opening device"

Reply #99
I just tried foo_spdifer.dll -- and to my surprise it does exactly what I need! Saying that dll is for Windows 7 is a bit misleading. I simply replaced foo_spdif.dll with foo_spdifer.dll on my XP machine and now my USB sound card is passing through multichannel DTS and AC3 streams without any issues.