Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: best audio editor (Read 20611 times) previous topic - next topic

best audio editor

Reply #25
In all the studios I work in (I am a musician) Pro Tools is still the standard, usually running on Macs. I cannot recall any local studios running Windows in the last several years - once OS X matured, the XP machines in studios began to disappear.

For simple 2 track editing I use Amadeus Pro on the Mac. Easy, intuitive and stable. Impossible to say what on earth "Best" means, it depends upon what tasks you have in mind. No need for overkill.

best audio editor

Reply #26
wow, Reaper looks pretty sweet.  I'll try it out later on.  Thanks for the linkage.

also i agree, "best" will never be found, and "audio editor" is too broad.  i  gotta wonder how many other threads already exist on the subject here.

best audio editor

Reply #27
wavelab for me
chaining many vst and dx effects and changing parameters in realtime even on a slow computer is amazing

best audio editor

Reply #28
I was under the impression that almost every music industry studio uses ProTools on macs. This poses a major difficulty for me, trying to "break in" to the field of professional audio engineering, because I am blind, and ProTools on the mac is inaccessible to Voiceover which is the only Mac screenreader on the market.

(This is actually a somewhat major complaint both in teh blind mac community and the blind sound engineering community as it was once accessible but the move to Intel-based CPUs broke a lot of the things that allowed it to interface with the program; we were supposed to get an update on how the progress was going sometime in May but we didn't, score 1 for the industry not giving a crap. You can read more about it at http://www.protoolspetition.org/ and sign the petition in the desperate hope that it'll do some good, which i rather doubt.)

So, since ProTools is out (on the mac) what compares? The answer to all of these questions may be somewhat outside of the scope of a forum, but what *are* the differences between the various audio recording and editing programs? What features does one have that the other doesn't, and what makes one program's inplamentations of those features better than the same feature on a different program? Is there a website that I could go to that lists all of this stuff in better detail that would not involve me scanning through each manufacturer's websites and sifting through the layers upon layers of garbage salespitches?

Oh, one other thing--is the feature set of ProTools on Windows different from the feature set of ProTools on the mac?

best audio editor

Reply #29
I wonder how Digital Performer compares to ProTools in regard to screen readers.  I've never heard about issues of screen readers on Macs, it's interesting stuff.  I'm a personal friend of Steve Wolf (of Wolf F M) and he keeps me up to date on a lot of the PC broadcasting end of things and visually impaired use.

I've always preferred Digital Performer for my own recording and post use, and Nuendo for surround post when I've worked in studios that have enough money to have it.

best audio editor

Reply #30
I used FlexiMusic Mp3 editor, it offers simple audio editing capabilities. It seems like the best tool for the job.

best audio editor

Reply #31
I'm curious, what does the Film/Video industry use?

In LA, it's about 99.9% Pro Tools. It used to be about 50/50 split between "old" Pro Tools (888 processors) and the "new" Pro Tools (HD). As of late 2007, I'd say it's now about 90% Pro Tools HD.

Virtually every major-studio motion picture and TV show you see around the world was recorded, edited, and/or mixed on Pro Tools. Like it or not, it's the standard of the industry.

But for music recording, it runs the gamut. You can record on just about anything as long as the A/D converters sound good. Few mastering companies use Pro Tools, since they prefer to work in 32-bit (or even 64-bit) mode, for processing.

--Vidiot