Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: different behavior of Amazon MP3 compared to self encoded (Read 2576 times) previous topic - next topic

different behavior of Amazon MP3 compared to self encoded

I am experiencing a very strange behaviour that I don't understand, maybe someone  can explain this to me.

I have MP3s that I bought from Amazon and many files I encoded myself with Foobar and lame.
When I add folders full of MP3s via explorer to Foobar via drag and drop, the processing of the Amazon files last at least 10 times(!) longer than my own encoded files. The same goes for checking the files with MP3val and also when I back up my collection to another (internal) HD the copy proces slows down extremely when folders with Amazon MP3s are copied. The files are NOT bigger than my self converted.
What could cause this ?

Re: different behavior of Amazon MP3 compared to self encoded

Reply #1
They may have wrong type of tags, and that is causing longer loading time.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
Thanks. Can I check this somehow ? And would that have affect on simply copying the files from one HD to another ?

Reply #3
OK, when I disable the realtime virus scan those Amazon files get processed with the same speed as my other files....

So I have found the reason, but I don't understand it....

Reply #4
Select a file from Amazon in explorer, right click - Properties. Does it have "Unlock" button?

Reply #5
Somewhere here ?

Reply #6
Install Mp3tag (freeware) and load the files. It will tell you what style of tags are present and show the content.

Reply #7
Somewhere here ?

Yes. There's no such button, so antivirus shouldn't treat them as "untrusted", as I suspected. So, the reason is something else.

Reply #8
I retag everything in Foobar2000. All my files have the same tags.
But its OK, Now I know what the reason is and I can disable the virusprotection temporarily when I do my backups.