Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: My SBLive has strange analog output signal... (Read 2575 times) previous topic - next topic

My SBLive has strange analog output signal...

I'm not a real expert and I didn't put the signals through a scope or anything... But the sound from my analoge SBLive Value output just simply sucks....

When I burn the music back to audio cd and put it in my cd player connected to the same amplifier(also analog output) the sound has much much much more depth.....

Another strange thing... Windows 98 gives a totally different signal when playing music than windows 2000. (all equalization is off) Windows 98 has a warm sound, windows 2000 a much more bright.... It's not just trebele and bass settings, just totally different sound charactaristics.....

Anyone can confirm these things?
I need to use digital output, I know... But my amplifier hasn't got an input for that unfortunately.
Any suggestions for a better soundcard?

Mikez

Reply #1
I have the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz...sounds pretty excellent to me...it came with my computer, but I think it's still pretty cheap f you buy it alone...

Reply #2
I have noticed that the characteristics of the sound from midi output is different between Win98 and W2K, but didn't test between the analogue outputs.

The drivers for Win98 and W2K for SBLive are different, so thats probably why. Also check your Enviromental audio settings, because I think some of them are set >0 in W2K drivers.

Reply #3
I have also remarked that the output signal is different from VXD drivers and WDM (used under W2K) drivers concerning the SBLive (tested on Win98SE)

The WMDs have (very) higher output level for the exact same parameters. But unfortunately the WDM I tested were not compliant with the MME configuration of my music software. That is why I stucked with VXD.

While testing the APS drivers (that are XVDs), there was the same output level has creative's VXDs.

Now waiting for KX project WMD drivers...