Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: aoTuv Vorbis vs Vorbis (xiph) (Read 845 times) previous topic - next topic

aoTuv Vorbis vs Vorbis (xiph)

I have never tried vorbis always used AAC, Opus and MP3. I am thinking about converting few of my flacs from my lossless collection to ogg vorbis. I came across two types of vorbis encoder one of which is available in foobar2000 from Xiph and the other one is aoTuv. Which one produces better audio quality?

I will be using 192 kbps (q-5).

Re: aoTuv Vorbis vs Vorbis (xiph)

Reply #1
Maybe you'll find the info you're looking for inside the Hydrogen Audio -> Wiki:

There are also earlier threads discussing the same, like:

Here are some other recent builds:

If in doubt you should perform a ABX / blind test to see if you can spot any difference. That's easy with foobar2000 + the "ABX Comparator" plugin:

Reply #2
Maybe you'll find the info you're looking for inside the Hydrogen Audio -> Wiki:

There are also earlier threads discussing the same, like:

Here are some other recent builds:

If in doubt you should perform a ABX / blind test to see if you can spot any difference. That's easy with foobar2000 + the "ABX Comparator" plugin:

Thanks for this detailed information.

Reply #3
What i learned from this above information is that aoTuV doesn't offer any advantage at high bit rates like at q6 or q7. It is tuned only for low bitrates, q5 and below.