Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Digidesign Protools digi001 (Read 3108 times) previous topic - next topic

Digidesign Protools digi001

i'd like to have a good (mid price) soundcard for my little homerecording studio. i'm using a mackie 1604 analog mixer but don't really have a soundcard... (just a creative extigy). so what about the digi 001 by digidesign protools... it sounds interessthing to me. and it's under 1000€

does anybody have this soundcard or know a site where i can get reviews. recommendations for other soundcards are also very welcome

thanks, ben

Reply #1
Well, there are a lot of similar packages available right now, so it is difficult to choose which one is best for you and which one is the best bang for your buck.

The best thing you can do is read the forums for each of the soundcards and see the real complaints that users are making. Also, check out the rec.audio.pro newsgroup, www.mojopie.com, and www.prosoundweb.com for more information.

Personally, I own the Delta 1010 and have had no troubles with it. I am very happy with my purchase. The 1010 does not have any mic pre's on it, but it costs significantly less and has a much better rated signal to noise ratio on the AD and DA. (114db vs. 98db for the digi001). The digi also has an ADAT interface for exapansion with external converters. There are other options by Aardvark and Echo.

Another option is to buy a lightpipe interface card by Hammerfall and then buy separate converters. This road will save you money in the long run because you can update either your computer interface or your converters and still use the other part. The quality of the converters is likely to be much higher. Furthermore, you can buy 8 AD converters and only 2 very high quality DA converters if that is what you need. I kind of wish I had gone this route, but I didn't so there's no use crying about it.

Good luck.

Destron

P.S. If that is the newer Mackie board then the mic preamps on the digi001 are probably not as good of quality as the direct outs on your Mackie board.

Reply #2
Under $1000€ ?? I don't think you have to spend that much to have a good pro soundcard. One of the best pro cards available for a reasonable price is the DAL CardDeluxe, it costs around 400€ and has top performance, in some aspects better than the LynxTwo. However, if I had to buy a pro soundcard just to make music, I'd get an Echo Mia, it costs around 200€ and I think it has a performance good enough for anything you do at a recording studio.

Edit:

a Mia is 1 stereo in / 1 stereo out, analog and coax. digital. If you need more ins and outs, you'll have to look for something else.
Also, I don't think it is worth to get external converters, given how good are today sound card built-in converters.

Reply #3
hm the hammerfall solution is what i thought about all the time. just a card with digital inputs and buy a/d converters for each input. but i didn't find a hammerfall card with 8 inputs, only 4. is there any with 8 ?

Reply #4
Hammerfall makes many different products. What I was recommending before was to buy a hammerfall PCI card that has ADAT and SPDIF in/out, and then to buy an external converter by another company. Unfortunately, this is kind of out of your budget. You would be hard pressed to buy more than 2 in / 2 out of high quality converters, although you could buy them now and then add on more converters later.

As for your question: each ADAT connector is capable of 8 channels in or out, so each of the hammerfall cards has more than 8 inputs.

http://www.rme-audio.com/

You might also want to research the above mentioned Lynx cards, converters by Ramsa (panasonic), and Swissonic.

Reply #6
Looks good! Keep in mind that you will also need a PCI card to hook that up to. One thing about RMI is that they are known for rock-solid performance, low latency and low jitter.

I'm jealous!

(But, I won't be upgrading my AD for quite a while and I am quite happy with my current setup)

Good Luck,

Destron