Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lame the best? LMAO! (Read 3596 times) previous topic - next topic

Lame the best? LMAO!

This isn't my opinion - I just read it here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Bx1B9...671%40sccrnsc03

(click "view complete thread" to read it in context)

Now, is this guy a troll? Evidence:

* He quotes 196kbps as a CBR bitrate - 6 isn't even close to 2 for a typo - surely wrong?
* A 20kHz bandwidth at 128kbps mp3 is just stupid! We know about lack of scale factor, not enough bits etc etc!

However, maybe he's for real - I guess the evidence will be when his station starts using this "custom codec". I can't listen over a 56k modem, so you'll have to tell me what it sounds like! EDIT: OK, maybe not at that price!!!

Comments?

D.

Lame the best? LMAO!

Reply #1
Well, I just read it, and from what I see, he clearly says that the "mysterious" codec he is going to use is NOT L.A.M.E. I actually think he is suggesting he will switch to Vorbis... (but I don't know about Vorbis lowpass at 128kbps...)

Lame the best? LMAO!

Reply #2
20kHz bandwidth at 128kbps mp3

maybe he's using BladeEnc? 
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Lame the best? LMAO!

Reply #3
IMO he's not a troll, just an ignorant person. Though if he wants to proove his statements, he should make the encoder available to us and let us proove that his is wrong (or right?).

Lame the best? LMAO!

Reply #4
Hey, come on!

He didn't say mp3 at 128kbps with 20khz bandwidth!!

He said that the new "not-yet-revealed" codec does that!

So give him some slack, will ya?

And it's not like he is saying it's his own magical codec, or that it's all his merit or anything...

I say: wait to see what he is talking about, and then do some tests and tell him the truth...

EDIT: Here are his words:

I recommend hearing the windows128, else the mpeg128.  Its a fraunhofer
codec at the moment but soon well switch to a custom codec with a 20kHz
cutoff @ 128k (not lame, lmao)

So, unless I have become suddenly retarded or something, he is actually saying that LAME is not good for his purposes (ok, not in a very polite way, but still...), and that the "custom codec" has the 20kHz cutoff at 128k... 

Lame the best? LMAO!

Reply #5
Well, I don't know what he meant, but his 128kbps mp3 stream needs quality updating indeed. Imo it is quite watery and smeared sounding, strange if that's FhG.. On the other hand there are many FhG-codecs.. and who knows what kind of transcodings these streams are.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Lame the best? LMAO!

Reply #6
Content of FLAME.BAT:
@lame -b128 --lowpass 20 %1 %2

There's your mp3 codec with a lowpass of 20khz at 128kbps