Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3Gain & the Ignore option (Read 3171 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3Gain & the Ignore option

I want to use MP3Gain to change global gain field using the "Ignore (do not read or write tags)" option and save a .m3g file to be able to restore the "original" gain later. I might be a bad forum searcher, but most posts seem dicuss writing a APEv2 tag.
What is the correct procedure?

Procedure 1:
1 Run track or album analysis
2 Save analysis results to a .m3g
3 Run track or album gain

Procedure 2:
  (Run track or album analysis)
1 Run track or album gain
2 Save analysis results to a .m3g

These two procedures produce different results. Is any of them correct?
Later, how do I "recover" the original gain using the .m3g? Is it possible?

Reply #1
Old topic with no answer. I guess they call it bumping...

Reply #2
Old mp3gain program didn't save info to the mp3 files themselves, but could save info about the songs in .m3g files. I don't think .m3g files save the undo infomation, however.
Newer versions of mp3gain save the info (including undo info) to the file using Ape tags.
Honestly, I think that is the easier, better approach, provided that you're fine with having Ape tags on your mp3 files. They don't cause any problem, except that if you have id3 tags, foobar won't read id3 information if Ape tags are present because it prioritizes Ape tag info.

As far as I can see, there's not a way to save undo information in .m3g files. Of course, you can always save a text file (e.g., U2_gains.txt) in which you've written the amount of gain for each album that you've changed the volume using mp3gain. For example, I write:

2004 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Lame 3.96.1 -V4, -9.0 dB

You just need to not lose the text file.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #3
As far as I can see, there's not a way to save undo information in .m3g files. Of course, you can always save a text file (e.g., U2_gains.txt) in which you've written the amount of gain for each album that you've changed the volume using mp3gain. For example, I write:

Lame 3.96.1 -V4, -9.0 dB

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292511"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

there's a easier way if you don't want mp3Gain to store the undo information within the file...just analyse your files. When you are done, save the results as *.m3g...keep that file. Now you can change the volume of all your tracks. If you want to undo the gain changes you just have to load the *.m3g file. If you've moved or renamed your song you need to open the m3g file with a text editor and modify the path / name ; or move the files to the location they were stored in first place...

Anyway, open another instance of mp3Gain and load your files. Now you can easily switch between the 2 windows and apply the volume changes how they used to be...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #4

Lame 3.96.1 -V4, -9.0 dB

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292511"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

there's a easier way if you don't want mp3Gain to store the undo information within the file...just analyse your files. When you are done, save the results as *.m3g...keep that file. Now you can change the volume of all your tracks. If you want to undo the gain changes you just have to load the *.m3g file. If you've moved or renamed your song you need to open the m3g file with a text editor and modify the path / name ; or move the files to the location they were stored in first place...

Anyway, open another instance of mp3Gain and load your files. Now you can easily switch between the 2 windows and apply the volume changes how they used to be...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292558"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This seems like a good solution. The reason I don't want to use APEv2 is that I'm trying to switch from ID3v1 + APEv2 to a more compliant bare ID3v2.3 solution. I really doubt I will want to make gain changes later, but I want to know it's possible.

Thank you.