Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: converting FLAC to MP3 with "all" the tags (Read 5734 times) previous topic - next topic

converting FLAC to MP3 with "all" the tags

I'm mostly using Picard and MP3Tag for my tagging needs, then using FB2K to handle the FLAC to MP3 conversion.

(apologies if such a question should be in FLAC, I'm guessing here)

I want to automate the conversion of my VorbisComment tag RELEASETIME to ID3's TDRL, and MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID to ID3's UFID:http://musicbrainz.org.

If this isn't possible with FB2K, then I guess I'm looking for a different free tool (in either/both senses) for handling such conversion, carrying over as many as possible of the tags over - coverart, maybe even lyrics would be nice but not that important at this point.

I'm noticing that I have to change quite a few of MP3Tag's default mappings in order to get the ID3 tags converted properly (e.g. CONTENT GROUP rather than CONTENTGROUP, COMPILATION, TORY, all the SORT ones. . .)

And ideally not just the one-time tag transfer when encoding, but even updating the ID3 tags when the source FLAC fields are edited later on, but I realize that's most likely a bit of a pipe dream.

Reply #1
I think foobar2000 can do this with its Masstagger. In some versions the masstagger came included by default, in other versions it needs to be installed as a plug-in.

In the version I'm using (1.1), with masstagger installed, I can right-click a group of files in the playlist, select "Tagging", and then "Manage scripts".

If I understand you right, the action you want to perform is "Copy values between fields", for example copying the RELEASETIME field to the TDRL field.

You might end up with both fields afterwards, but you can simply delete the one you don't need anymore.

Reply #2
I think foobar2000 can do this with its Masstagger. In some versions the masstagger came included by default, in other versions it needs to be installed as a plug-in.

In the version I'm using (1.1), with masstagger installed, I can right-click a group of files in the playlist, select "Tagging", and then "Manage scripts".

If I understand you right, the action you want to perform is "Copy values between fields", for example copying the RELEASETIME field to the TDRL field.

You might end up with both fields afterwards, but you can simply delete the one you don't need anymore.

Thanks for responding, and I'm an FB2K noob, so I may be wrong, but I believe my problem is that FB2K just doesn't support those fields at all at conversion time.

I can easily set up MP3Tag to automate things like this with its Actions feature, but I'm hoping to simply get my desired fields translated at the same time as the encoding process rather than have to remember/maintain a separate stage in the procedure.

Unless "mass tagger" can be automated at conversion time, and supports tags that the main program doesn't?

I'll investigate along those lines when I have time, but other suggestions, especially for a scriptable approach would be most welcome.

Reply #3
I don't think there's a way to do the conversion and tagging in a single step.

My experience with foobar has been that it copies over all the tags during conversion, does it not do this? I mostly stick to the default tag fields (Artist, Album, Date, etc.) so it may be that I just haven't noticed.

Reply #4
I don't think there's a way to do the conversion and tagging in a single step.

Well it may not be the same step internally but from a user POV that's the way FB2K makes it seem.

My experience with foobar has been that it copies over all the tags during conversion, does it not do this? I mostly stick to the default tag fields (Artist, Album, Date, etc.) so it may be that I just haven't noticed.

Thanks for responding.

Yes you just haven't noticed because you don't use TDRL and UFID; I consider the former important since I actually use TYER for the recording date as the standards specify, and I like the idea of having a "primary key" for a given collection to identify/prevent duplicates.

The reason I put "all" in quotes is that I don't expect the dev(s) to actually code support for tags that no one uses.

And again, I'd be happy to use another tool if anyone has a recommendation.

Reply #5
cross-referencing for future googlers
link