Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Georgia: A dynamically generated fb2k theme (Read 94926 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Georgia: A dynamically generated fb2k theme

Reply #150
Sometimes I will get the record label logo in the corner, but it's never listed along with the other metadata on the left. Neither is the catalog number. I've been storing this information for years on my own, so it should show up. I have the fields named "PUBLISHER" and "LABELNO" (just like CUETools), so I don't see why it won't show. Sometimes the RELEASETYPE field shows, oddly enough. I'm on a 720p monitor, so maybe there's not enough room?
At the moment, the grid entries are hardcoded in globals.js. Just look in that file for tf.grid. Then you can easily change from %label% which is the default, to %PUBLISHER% and from %catalognumber% to %LABELNO%. Some values like these can be changed in the properties by scrolling down to the "Tag Fields: ...." section and updating them, but as of now, publisher and catalog number are not editable there.

This does mean that when you install a new version of the theme you'll have to redo your grid values. I should probably pull that out into its own file so that it can easily be copied over.

Also I get no hyperlinks. I can't click on anything like it said in the features. And there's no volume bar, but that's not terrible.
Hyperlinks only exist in the playlist. Hover over something there. Volume button is not enabled by default. Check the options menu >> transport controls.

One minor thing I would change is to have the Library list display by folder structure and not artists. This way I won't get artists from one-off compilation albums mixed in with the others. Also I have multiple different pressings of the same album sometimes, and it can't differentiate between them.
Open the library panel, then right click on the background (not an item) and select "View by Folder Structure".

Reply #151
Hi, everything is fine, but I cannot get albums and image art from Spotify, anyways can fix it?

Reply #152
Hi, everything is fine, but I cannot get albums and image art from Spotify, anyways can fix it?
This was working fine recently. I'll have to take another look.

Reply #153
any specific settings that I need to make?

Reply #154
hey MordredKLB, i love the theme but, is there any way to get it to just use only the embedded album art i already have in the files? I already set foobar2000 to that option [Prefer Embedded] in the  foobar preferences/advanced menu but the theme still shows only the art from the containing folder of the file i'm listening to. I swear i remember reading on the internet that something somewhere in Georgia had to be changed to $meta. or something. But for the life of me i can't find it again anywhere! Anyway, I just want to use the embedded album art in my files, is there a way to do that?
Thanks!

[P.S.: i'll post this in both the Hydrogenaudio forum and the foobar reddit page.]

Reply #155
UPDATE TO REPLY #154: for anyone else who might happen upon this topic -[and also i don't see an edit or delete button on this forum] > Solution to my above problem is to just remove the image files from the folder containing whatever you're listening to and make sure the Cycle Through All Artwork option is checked on in the foobar/Georgia Options tab.

Reply #156
At the moment, the grid entries are hardcoded in globals.js. Just look in that file for tf.grid

Wow, everything worked! Thanks!
I knew that cataloging the label and other information would pay off someday. When there are multiple labels, I would usually separate them with a semicolon and no space; as I recalled seeing it done automatically with CUETools that way. Unfortunately this doesn't look very pretty under your skin, unless I edit it so that they're separated by commas. I'm just wondering- is this a common way to do it in coding? I'm not a programmer so I just assumed that the semicolon was the default way to list multiple entries of something.

I tried getting the Release Date field to show up, but I've always set mine to MM/DD/YYYY instead of YYYY-MM-DD. I tried changing that part in the global.js, but it didn't do anything. I think I would have to go deep in there and rearrange the part that immediately precedes it. It would be cool to get Georgia to interpret the full release date and display it as actually writing out the month, date and year (ie "released on September 24th, 1995")

One thing I've noticed that seems to be "missing" is that there's no real way to check the composer field. Too much information could clutter up the page, but I think that if you were going to add one more bit of information on the display, composer credits would be first on the list. Also it would be cool to have hyperlinks for them too- to see who wrote what in a user's library.

If I could make another suggestion, I think it would be cool to have a display somewhere for a MEDIA or a FORMAT field. MEDIA is another common one I see people use to distinguish between CD, vinyl, or WEB releases. I personally have gotten more specific with mine to include CDr's, 12" singles, 45's, and MC's (cassettes). I'm sure some interesting stuff could be done with that.

Another very minor thing would be to maybe display the total number of tracks in the playlist, or album. Sometimes I just want to quickly check my player to see how close I am to the end of a certain album.

Great idea on the artist flags too. None of my files had the 'artistcountry' field before, but now I find myself adding them in whenever I use your skin.

Hyperlinks only exist in the playlist. Hover over something there. Volume button is not enabled by default. Check the options menu >> transport controls.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work for me is when I click the record label. Year, genre, artist, and everything else works fine, but for some reason not the label. Also the lyrics don't seem to work, but I think you said somewhere else that that still needs to be worked on. Or maybe I just need to add in the component, I don't remember.

I almost forgot to mention, that I had to turn off the option that makes it cycle through the album art. Any folder of mine that has album booklets would mash all of the text way over to the left side of the screen. If I could, I would set it to only cycle between the "cover", "back", and "disc" files.

I'm fairly new to foobar skins, but I think that yours is now my favorite. Everything is functional, it's not too needlessly complicated, and I can actually click a single track or album and it will stop after it's played without automatically going to the next record. I bet you could monetize this somehow. This thread just proves that there is a market for a real audio player, or "streaming service" for music lovers. Imagine if there were a streaming service with your theme: with full artwork scans, sorting by record label, aesthetic design, options to choose between different formats and album pressings... Very cool thing you've got going here. Thanks for answering my questions and designing this great player for us all.

Reply #157
Hello, I've been using the theme for a while now and I'm generally very happy with it. I've done a bit of fiddling with the code to make it look nice on my display but I've run into an issue I don't know how to change. It has to do with the "image" buttons, show playlist/lyrics/library etc. I would like to increase the size of the icons. Starting with the playlist view icon, i made a new 48x48 icon and modified the pref.list_img field to point to the new icon.

However, the display ends up looking like in the image below where the bottom part of the new icon is cut off. How can I fix this?

Reply #158
<lots of stuff>
Gonna try and respond point by point so hopefully I don't miss anything.

1) You were basically doing the right thing by seperating labels with a semicolon. However due to the esoteric nature of ID3 tags, and how different taggers encode things, there's a disconnect. For one, some taggers treat PUBLISHER and LABEL fields differently: PUBLISHER can only have a single value, while LABEL can have multiple values. Therefore if your tagger was writting to PUBLISHER and separating them with semicolons, the actual value foobar will see is "Atlantic Records; Interscope" and not "Atlantic Records" and "Interscope". Depending on the tagger, the same thing could be happening even in LABEL. If you tagged the files using foobar, the semicolons would denote multiple values and everything would look good and be separated with pretty bullets in the UI. Your best bet is using Foobars mass tagger to convert your fields with Semicolons into multi-value fields. You might need to do some research there.

2) MM/DD/YYYY is interesting. Javascript can handle that just fine, but I'll have to check why nothing else is. I'm probably making assumptions to expect the default YYYY-MM-DD format though.

3) I want to make the grid be a lot more extensible from the UI. That'll need to wait until after migration to SMP though.

4) MEDIA might make a lot of sense in the upper right under the year. What do you think?

5) Total tracks are displayed in the playlist view. Not sure where it makes sense in the main UI.

6) If hyperlinks for record labels aren't working, make sure you're trying it on a label with only a single value. Given that you have issues with the semicolons, I'm guessing it's related.

7) I don't keep booklets in my folders, and I didn't want to have an exhaustive list, so it's just *.jpg, *.png, etc. This makes me wonder if a JSON based preferences file might be a good idea. Could be a simpler alternative for controlling what's in the grid as well.

Thanks for all the kind words, and glad you love the theme!

Reply #159
Hello, I've been using the theme for a while now and I'm generally very happy with it. I've done a bit of fiddling with the code to make it look nice on my display but I've run into an issue I don't know how to change. It has to do with the "image" buttons, show playlist/lyrics/library etc. I would like to increase the size of the icons. Starting with the playlist view icon, i made a new 48x48 icon and modified the pref.list_img field to point to the new icon.

However, the display ends up looking like in the image below where the bottom part of the new icon is cut off. How can I fix this?

As of now those button image sizes are hardcoded, or at least based on the size of the first image in the list (the gear). I don't have the code in front of me right now, but try making a 48x48 version of the gear and see what happens.

Reply #160
1) You were basically doing the right thing by seperating labels with a semicolon. However due to the esoteric nature of ID3 tags, and how different taggers encode things, there's a disconnect. For one, some taggers treat PUBLISHER and LABEL fields differently: PUBLISHER can only have a single value, while LABEL can have multiple values. Therefore if your tagger was writting to PUBLISHER and separating them with semicolons, the actual value foobar will see is "Atlantic Records; Interscope" and not "Atlantic Records" and "Interscope". Depending on the tagger, the same thing could be happening even in LABEL. If you tagged the files using foobar, the semicolons would denote multiple values and everything would look good and be separated with pretty bullets in the UI. Your best bet is using Foobars mass tagger to convert your fields with Semicolons into multi-value fields. You might need to do some research there.
I've been trying some of the things you said this morning, and I just can't seem to get it to display logos when there's more than one label. I've seen Georgia display logos for EMI America and Rolling Stones Records separately, so I know it has them. I have a record that's attributed to both of these labels, and it never shows me the logos. I do this manually by the way, using foobar's default tagger. I don't know how you got it to work in your sample image.

I tried changing the default value for 'label' back to LABEL in global,js, just to see if it would work, and it hasn't. Even though the bullet point shows up, the logos on the bottom right of the window never do. Then I tried adding in [%PUBLISHER%] and [%LABEL%], then after that I tried %ORGANIZATION%, none of which worked. I know that there's a bit of a disconnect with the PUBLISHER field; I don't know the exact specifics, but either ID3 tags or foobar have PUBLISHER interchangeable with ORGANIZATION for some reason. Which is why I thought that the default 'LABEL' would work. That WAS the default, right? I should have saved a backup early on. Luckily I have a backup of the global.js file before I messed with it this morning.

Reply #161
Just looked at the code for you; it's on georgia-main.js. It aggregates off PUBLISHER and LABEL, by default. I tried "Metal Blade Records" as the publisher, and for the label, "Virgin" and then re-loaded and they both appeared. Good luck!

Reply #162
Just looked at the code for you; it's on georgia-main.js. It aggregates off PUBLISHER and LABEL, by default. I tried "Metal Blade Records" as the publisher, and for the label, "Virgin" and then re-loaded and they both appeared. Good luck!

Oh my God it worked! Now what would you do if there were three labels? I believe in one of his sample images he shows the Bladerunner soundtrack and it has three logos. Thanks!
Now this is opening a whole new pandora's box of confusion. Seems like I can get the logos when I do it the way you described, but the text on the left side of the screen will only show the Publisher. I've been trying a bunch of different combinations and changes to global.js, but so far I can't seem to get the two labels displayed on the left-side information bar AND the right-side logos. The closest I got was the logos, and then on the left-side of the screen I got the two labels listed, but it didn't recognize them as two separate labels, so instead of showing that nice bullet point, it showed a comma, which also would only display one of the labels in the playlist view (hyperlinks). Anyway, I think I can live with that setup for now

Another update: Ok now it is showing the bullet point, but then it takes away one of the logos. also only a hyperlink for one of them in the playlist view

Final Update: I think I got it the way it was intended. I think in the case of the album I'm talking about, Rolling Stones records would be the label, and EMI America would be more of a publisher. I'm thinking that maybe you're not supposed to see a display or hyperlink for the publisher, and I personally wouldn't care to see what records would be on a major organization like that anyway. I'm sure as time goes on I will come across more examples where an album is legitimately on two or more labels, and I would want to see a display for those labels, but I digress. For now, I'm satisfied

Reply #163
So you can add any number of labels you want according to the code.

See globals.js (my line 195 begins like this...)
tf.labels = [ // Array of fields to test for publisher. Add, change or re-order as needed.
   'label', // DO NOT put %s around the field names because we are using $meta() calls
   'publisher',

if you add 'producer' or something to that array and save+reload, make a new tag on the songs with that same reference, (producer) and give value of 'Metal Blade Records' or whatever, you'll have 3 show up.

Reply #164
hmm, is that really the only way to do it? only one label per field? Mordred was saying up above somewhere in response to me that separating the labels by semicolons should work - in theory. But the whole problem started for me when it had "Label" as the default field and not "publisher", only because for all this time I've been saving label information under that tag, as it seems to be the universal way of doing so.

So I just tried adding 'publisher' to the array of fields, and it makes Georgia crash. I get this message:

JScript Panel v2.3.6.1 (Georgia by Mordred)
JavaScript compilation error:
Expected ']'
File: C:\Users\[redacted]\Music\Audio players\Georgia\georgia\js\globals.js
Line: 196, Col: 2
   'publisher'

Edit: My bad, it was because I didn't add a comma at the end. But it also seems to have done nothing, because it still wont display the label name on the left side of the screen, at least when it's under 'publisher' and not 'label'. It actually made it worse somehow, because now it will only display one logo. I'm changing it back

Edit 2: Ahhh so confusing, it was because there was no logo for the second label i was looking at.
This is really strange, but it will only show one label in the playlist view in the hyperlinks. I can't remember if I saw it show two last time. But at first I thought it was because it would only show the 'label' field, but for files without a 'label' field, it will display the 'publisher' field. So i guess it recognizes both but can't show them both.

Reply #165
So you can add any number of labels you want according to the code.

See globals.js (my line 195 begins like this...)
tf.labels = [ // Array of fields to test for publisher. Add, change or re-order as needed.
   'label', // DO NOT put %s around the field names because we are using $meta() calls
   'publisher',

if you add 'producer' or something to that array and save+reload, make a new tag on the songs with that same reference, (producer) and give value of 'Metal Blade Records' or whatever, you'll have 3 show up.
Just for clarification, the tf.labels array is only used for displaying images... and not what shows on the left hand metadata grid or in the playlist. The left hand side uses the tf.grid label value. The playlist uses either %label% if it exists, and if not, %publisher%. I should probably look at simplifying that to use the same logic tf.grid uses at least.

Samsara, you said you were seeing bullets between the labels on the left, but only a single logo image, correct? That's very confusing to me. Can you share a link to a file that shows this behavior so I can debug exactly what's going on? I think that'll be the simplest way to resolve this because it seems I'm missing something right now.

Reply #166
Hello, this skin is great and everything works fine. Many thanks to the author.
Anyway, I was wondering, is it possible to display the record label logos without the background color (or with a transparent background?

Reply #167
Hello, this skin is great and everything works fine. Many thanks to the author.
Anyway, I was wondering, is it possible to display the record label logos without the background color (or with a transparent background?
Hmmm... I put the backdrop on there so that cd/vinyl art wouldn't overlap them and look stupid. It might look pretty good just drawing them on the background, below any cdart. I might give that a shot and make it an option. I'm intrigued with what it might look like.

Reply #168
Thank you!
I believe it will look good. Sometimes its the backdrop that overlaps the cd art, and without it, it may present a cleaner look.

Reply #169
I removed the backdrop and the logo looks great against the blue background I use.  However, I'm not sure how a black logo would look against the default dark mode background.  It also seems to have eliminated the overlap with CD art, at least with the logos I have seen so far, and definitely gives it a cleaner look.  I can see where you might need to drop it down a little to avoid overlapping with larger logos.  I definitely think this is an option people might like.

Reply #170
I spent a lot of time and effort making sure the logos themselves do not touch the CD art in anyway (seriously that code is a minefield of intensive calculation loops and trigonometry) but with some very square labels it can look really stupid butting up against the cd art, which was one of the reasons I did the background to begin with (plus I kinda like how the little background tab looks). I'll definitely add this as an option though and set it so that it never uses the inverted color logo.

It also might not look as good in light mode, but I'll have to double check that.

Reply #171
I reverted back to your default background color and, at least with the logos I tested, they didn't look too bad in either dark or light mode, even if they were inverted.  But I have to admit that I think they look a lot better with the backdrop when using your default background.  Thank you for all your hard work and your willingness to grant our requests.  I spend a lot of time studying your code and am amazed at the complexity and the effort required.  To those of you appreciate this theme, I strongly encourage you to please make a PayPal donation using the link at https://github.com/kbuffington/Georgia.  It is well deserved.

Reply #172
I reverted back to your default background color and, at least with the logos I tested, they didn't look too bad in either dark or light mode, even if they were inverted.  But I have to admit that I think they look a lot better with the backdrop when using your default background.  Thank you for all your hard work and your willingness to grant our requests.  I spend a lot of time studying your code and am amazed at the complexity and the effort required.  To those of you appreciate this theme, I strongly encourage you to please make a PayPal donation using the link at https://github.com/kbuffington/Georgia.  It is well deserved.
Oh god, people looking at some of this code to learn gives me hives. Much of it was written 8+ years ago when JS was a hobby for me. A lot of it will be undergoing a rewrite shortly and I can excise some of the terrible crap in there and clean things up (and introduce new bugs!). I've been holding off starting that process while waiting for @TheQwertiest to release a new version of FSM and migrate over to that, but I should probably start that on it now, even if it'll take him a bit.

I definitely appreciate the love you've shown my through donations though. Means a lot that people enjoy this theme so much they're willing to pay for it even when they don't have to.

Reply #173
Ah, I know it's been a while but I've been kind of busy with other stuff - figure I should stop putting this off and send you my globals.js. I thought I had the multiple logos and everything working for a minute there, but now I'm back to only seeing the 'label' field and not the 'publisher' field. Also I still don't know how to get more than two logos to show up. Closest I got was to seeing the multiple logos and labels, but there was no bullet point, comma, or space between the multiple labels. For example, if I had Columbia and Legacy it would show up on the left side as ColumbiaLegacy. So I tried to fix that and I don't know what I did, here it is:

Samsara, you said you were seeing bullets between the labels on the left, but only a single logo image, correct? That's very confusing to me. Can you share a link to a file that shows this behavior so I can debug exactly what's going on? I think that'll be the simplest way to resolve this because it seems I'm missing something right now.

https://pastebin.com/DPTJ09y1

Reply #174
Ah, I know it's been a while but I've been kind of busy with other stuff - figure I should stop putting this off and send you my globals.js. I thought I had the multiple logos and everything working for a minute there, but now I'm back to only seeing the 'label' field and not the 'publisher' field. Also I still don't know how to get more than two logos to show up. Closest I got was to seeing the multiple logos and labels, but there was no bullet point, comma, or space between the multiple labels. For example, if I had Columbia and Legacy it would show up on the left side as ColumbiaLegacy. So I tried to fix that and I don't know what I did, here it is:

https://pastebin.com/DPTJ09y1
I'll take a look at the globals.js, but it'd be better if you uploaded an audio file that shows this behavior.